SLR Concept

While I agree you need to do your own research, I'm sure enthusiasts here are happy to provide pointers. But... "SLR concept"? As in the mechanics of how an SLR camera works? The history of the SLR? DSLRs vs film SLRs? DSLRs vs mirrorless cameras? SLRs vs TLRs, rangefinders, etc.? Concept art using SLRs? Design of new SLRs? Historical concept cameras that weren't production models?

Are you able to narrow down what you're looking for?

• Like 1

Apart from the rather lacking research methodology, also having no idea whether your "SLR Concept" study is for a physics class, a photography class or whatever else sure doesn't help. For a photographer, knowing how the mirror and prism work isn't all that important for the ability to make good photos. For somebody working in physics, the ability to make good photos isn't all that important.

The actual real scary part to me is the idea that any university would consider the concept of a SLR a subject in whatever field. More something for highschool maybe.

• Like 1

The actual real scary part to me is the idea that any university would consider the concept of a SLR a subject in whatever field. More something for highschool maybe.

I'd agree with this.

The "concept" of an SLR is simple. You look through the lens actually taking the photo via a mirror at a 45º angle and focused on a focusing screen the same distance from the back of the lens as the plane of the film/image sensor. It's called a "reflex" camera because of the mirror, and a "single lens" because it only has one lens(used for both taking and viewing).

The actual mechanics of how this happens are all over the place. Usually, the mirror flips out of the way to take an image but that's not always the case(Canon Pellix, certain high speed Canon and Nikon SLRs, some Sony cameras). Sometimes-by choice or by camera design-the mirror is manually raised before taking the photo. You typically need a mechanical shutter, both in film and digital cameras, to cover the film/sensor until it's ready for exposure. Sometimes the shutter is in the lens(leaf shutter), but a lot more often it is directly over the imaging device(focal plane shutter).

SLRs exist in formats from the diminutive 110 film to giant Graflex SLRs intended to take 4x5 or 5x7 sheet film. The most familiar(and common) ones are designed to use either 35mm film(24x36mm image area), a roughly 16mmx24mm sensor(APS-C digital, AKA "crop frame" or by manufacturer-specific nomenclature), or a 24mmx36mm sensor(full frame digital). SLRs to shoot 120 film(60mm wide) are also common, but there are three different common frame sizes.

It's quite a broad question.

Here is a review of his book from Amazon.

Looks interesting.....

Clearly, Barret Oliver s book on the Woodburytype, one of the most beautiful and durable of all photographic processes, and the life of its inventor, is the product of exhaustive research. His extensively illustrated book displays a thorough understanding of a complicated process and its antecedents, of its place in the history of the medium, and of photographic and printing processes in general. A useful guide to identifying Woodburytypes and an extensive bibliography accompany his lucid expositions. Bravo! Gordon Baldwin, Retired Associate Curator of Photography --J. Paul Getty Museum

Oliver thoroughly researched history explains how the Woodburytype process works, why it was used for such a short time, and why it eventually disappeared in spite of its being called by photo historian J. S. Mertle the most beautiful photographic reproduction process ever invented. --Maine Antique Digest

Long overdue, this book is essential reading for scholars, historians, collectors, dealers and photographers alike. An astute and thoroughly researched account of the mechanics and history of the Woodburytype process. A tremendous contribution to the field. Julian Cox, Curator of Photography --Chief Curator of the de Young Museum

About the Author

Barret Oliver lives in Los Angeles where he works as a photographer and printer and is known for his use of nineteenth century processes. His print work has been featured in gallery and museum exhibitions, publications and motion pictures. Oliver s research into the Woodburytype grew out of an extensive working knowledge of early photographic technology and his successful experiments in reproducing Woodbury prints.

It was Halfarsed referencing that had me foxed.

Now, be nice. Admittedly, I believe undergraduates should have learned something about capital letters, grammar and punctuation before getting to this stage (remember how kids tended to use weird textspeak variants because apparently nobody had heard of predictive text?) - but it is supposed to be a learning experience. Part of which, apparently, is learning how to ask a coherent question. "History eat" stumps me, though, unless it's an indication that there's a lecture on the subject before lunch. Even ignoring that this is a student supposedly doing a research project, we're supposed to allow some liberties on the beginners' forum.

Original poster: Sorry if we're sounding dismissive. We will tell you to do your own research, but we can still give you pointers (as some have already). But unless we know exactly what you're looking for, it's hard to help (and we're just enthusiasts who like talking about cameras, we're not paid for this). Maybe your first job is to work out where to start?

The OP didn't post any more. You guys scared him off. I really would like to know what he meant by "SLR Concept".

Naaaah.

He hasn’t looked back since a few hours after he posted.

Not the type to invest the time I suppose.

Not so much as an acknowledgement after numerous considerate replies in the Pinhole Camera thread.

The OP didn't post any more. You guys scared him off. I really would like to know what he meant by "SLR Concept".

by what he's posted since joining, he doesnt seem sure either... phishing.

The more you say, the less people listen.