Slow Shutter Speeds at Weddings

steve.elliott

The only wedding I've shot was in low light for the ceremony (no flash

allowed) and as an example, I shot a wide shot from the back at f2.8 27mm @

1/30 sec.

Now I've upgraded my equipment and my main setup is a 5D with 24-105mm f4 IS.

So for the same shot I would be looking at 1/15 sec or up the ISO.

At a wedding ceremony people are quite still - but how low would you go with

the shutter speed? Especially when closer to the subject where any movement

blur would be more noticeable than a group shot. IS means camera shake is

less of a problem - but obviously subject movement isn't.

Thanks in advance.

Your f/4 lens might work fine if the next church isn't any darker.

I have shot a few candlelight ceremonies with a 50mm f/1.8 lens that still needed a monopod because I was down in the 1/5th to 1/10th of a second shutter speed.

But if you think you can handhold it - just forget my advice.

And I have never had a "people movement" problem during any of my ceremony shots.

stephen - are you shooting professionally? I hope not if you don't have a tripod for one.

second, f4 is not fast. it is slow.

f2.8 is fast for a zoom, slow for a prime.

f2.0 is fast.

f1.4 is very fast.

buy the 50mm 1.4 at the very least, and the 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8 or 1.2 if you want to have a set of low light tools.

the 70-200 IS 2.8 is also a good investment.

what ISO are you using? I find the 5D to be totally useable at 1600 as long as you expose well.

I wouldn't shoot any slower than 1/focal lenght of your lens unless I shot a burst...

I'm not currently shooting professionally, but obviously I have a tripod. I sold my 30D kit (including lenses) to go full frame with the 5D.

f4 is not fast I realize that, but the 24-105L f4 has IS and we're not talking about fast subject movement here. As I said upping the ISO could be an option in similar circumstances.

I also have a 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8 lenses.

I should amend my statement as it makes it sound like you still ALWAYS get subject blur with someone standing still at 1/30th. You can get sharp images of someone standing still at 1/30th, but not as reliably as 1/60th. I remember one ceremony where I used a tripod and 1/30th and I still got some slight subject motion in shots of people just standing at the altar. So what I took away from my experience is, if you need to use 1/30th, shoot more to improve your hit ratio. With 1/60th, I pretty much know (barring any other problems such as focus) that the image is truly sharp--i.e., if I look at it at 100%, the subject is sharp.

Thanks Nadine, I have to say I didn't seem to get any blurred shots. There was one very slightly blurred hand as the Bride admired her new ring - but that gave a sense of movement, which I thought was good.

Using f2.8 in the shot above worked well, but I did need to sharpen the foreground barrels a little, even with focussing at a third into the scene. Everything is pin sharp in the original - but sometimes it can be advantageous to have a little extra depth of field - like f4.

I like slow shutter speeds, you NEED a tripod, experiment at little at weddings (some hate to hear me say that) Blurring is a big issue. I have shot where there little lights all in the trees at a outdoor recption. And shot 1 to 2 seconds exposure time. If you have time, you can try the shot I did but use a flash set at 1/32 power +- to freeze the subject. YOu do need a tripod, espically if people are paying for photos. Hard to hand-hold a camera past 1/30 of sec. I was trying to hand-hold a shot of a car in front of a dealership at night. Shutter was 1/10th sec. I was sitting on the ground for the correct angle. Too lazy to set tripod that low. Shot was perfect, but blurry. I have to go back tomorrow night to shoot it again,,

Stephen... I think your photograph that you have linked to was a perfect oppotrunity to use a tripod. When the ceremony is being performed you can anticipate your exposures for the moments when the bride, groom, & preacher, are not moving very much.You usually have at least 10 minutes or more to work with. <p>

In the photograph you posted, you were in excellent position and I think there was plenty of ambient light. You just needed to keep the camera steady. Be certain to be ready for when the B/G face each other, exchange rings, kiss, face the congregation. Those are all times when they remain pretty still and you will already have your camera in position and focussed for a quick shot at 1/15 or 1/30 or whatever you needed. You need a good tripod with a good ball head and a quick release mounting base. The camera lifts off instantly with the push of a button. <p>

BTW... I think the photograph you posted would have been a good place to try a couple shots (don't over-do it) with a star filter. The secret is to get one large enough that you can hold it in front of any lens you own. No need to screw it on, because your camera is ... steadily sitting on the tripod.

>>> At a wedding ceremony people are quite still - but how low would you go with the shutter speed? Especially when closer to the subject where any movement blur would be more noticeable than a group shot. <<<

I am not keen to go under 1/50 when people are standing, especially at a Wedding as their adrenal glands are usually quite active and breathing is irregular.

Obviously the RESULTANT (viewed) subject movement is reduced in various shooting scenarios:

. Greater Subject Distance.

. Shots from behind, (no hands or face).

. Wide angle lens (reasonably far SD)

. Seated Subjects.

That is not to say I have not used slower than 1/50, I am just picky when I do so.

WW

Don't take this the wrong way, but technology, whether is be IS or higher ISO is no excuse to take short cuts. Whether it's being lazy, arrogant, or cheap it's no excuse when it comes to a wedding.

This is a B+G's once in a lifetime event. Months of planning, years of dreaming, and all they get is a probably soft or blurry image from someone who should have known better.

Touting all that IS nonsense is just BS in my opinion. 1/15th is 1/15th and just the slightest movement from either static subject will likely ruin the image.

Even working alone, a dedicated body on a tripod is a no brainer. Generally you will have plenty of time to work the angles and return for the most important shot.

Even if you are not shooting professionally, please use good judgement. At a minimum a you need f/2.8 and preferably a faster lens. A cable release and dedicated body/lens/tripod setup is a MUST!