Slow Photography

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by jim_dockery_photos, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sometimes I would agree with that but not always. but I do not need to think of it as better, just helpful.

2. Good question?

Here's a quote from André Breton that leads me in yet another direction ...

3. "Good question?" boh 'non lo so'
    "Nothing that surrounds us is object, all is subject."
    I for one spend much of my time focused on maximizing subject and finding/using objects as vehicles to that end. When I read the article in the op i took it as intended for slowing the process of shooting objects, events, etc. with an eye/thought for subject to maximize the object. substance.

4. allora -
    Sometimes whatever I’m shooting is checking me out concentrating its sights on me and calling the shot . not the object.
    It can all see rite through me and I through it.

Supriyo likes this.
  5. ovvio - and what a great feeling that is. In those moments I shoot first and question later - (as in your recent up for critique post that went beyond a snapshot record ) ? Then I may slow down and consider the subject and purpose if any ... often rewarding.

Supriyo likes this.
  6. Indeed, how many of us had the feeling of interacting with the subject (inanimate) in a non-verbal way while shooting. This happened to me while shooting architectural elements in Christian Missions in California, like a two way conversation, where I would ask a door or a pillar, how long have you been here? What have you seen? How are you feeling today, given so many people with cell phones? Do you miss your old days, etc. Such mental 'exchange' I think affected the way I shot those elements.

7. I do hope you're seeking professional help! :)

Seriously, though, what you're getting at is important and I can tell the difference when I look at photos a lot of the time between someone who stands back as an observer of an object and someone who interacts in a very different sort of relationship. I think each has its place in different contexts and at different times. And I think for a photographer or artist to turn the world a little upside down and not get stuck in literal notions of what a camera does or what's in front of it is to invite creativity.

Bravo, Supriyo.

8. Your photograph records the light reflected by the subject.
    It is all reflection.......

9. yeah a photograph records the light reflected by an object. It also can capture the incident light source.

bud light fonted4.jpg wrappedpol4.jpg grunge3.4.jpg

10. I was thinking about the fact that for so many years I took photographs thinking in terms of things rather than the light that connected my brain to them.

But you’re right, I stand corrected.

11. Looking at inoneeye's triptych makes me wonder ... how do I know I'm not photographing what isn't there as much as what is?

Ricochetrider likes this.
  12. ...... graphing the photons.....
    Photons traveling through time....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  13. No question of art is ever settled.

Ricochetrider likes this.
  14. What I'm pointing out is that this categorical statement doesn't apply for me in much of my shooting. I'm not saying it can't be how other photographers think and shoot. However you want to think about your own shooting and however you want to think about Atget is fine with me, and they are likely welcome ways to photograph. Just don't extrapolate from how you see and what you do and what photographers you've studied are doing to "photography" and what it will "always be."

15. And maybe try having an honest discussion without throwing in hot-button memes like "relativism."

16. Camera and framing through it are strong abstraction layers (to me), as much as any other visual medium. The mindset that whatever is photographed existed and there is a closer objective connection to the world than painting, actually works to the photographer's favor in creating an alternative reality. However, photography is obviously not limited to that.

17. All visual mediums involve abstraction doesn't equate to meaning that they all are the same.

18. .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020