Slik Pro 340DX - Anyone own one? How's the quality?

ok teriffic

Looking to buy a lightweight tri but not spend alot. The AMT

(Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium)construction seems solid and is in the

weight range I've been looking for. Price range too ($100 + $6 s/h @

B&H). I've used the slik "U" series before and was not impressed w/

quality. If you own or have used one let me know your opinion. Thanks!

I have a 400 DX, which is pretty similar except for being heavier and having fewer leg sections. Nicely made, smooth head, generally a good deal. The only real shortcoming I find is in the way the leg sections are retained. They use a two-piece internal plastic collar with short bosses that engage holes in the outer tubes. If you have the bad habit of opening the legs by letting them drop until they stop, the bosses can shear off, and the stops (and legs) can fall out. Slik carries replacement parts, but I haven't gotten around to ordering new ones for mine, so I can't say how expensive they are. Mine are holding for the moment, and I'm breaking my bad habit. Everything else about the design seems well thought out; the quality is good, and if you remember not to be lazy about extending the legs, it should hold up well. The lighter and shorter leg sections of the 340DX might put less stress on the stops, too.

Happen to own one for a few years. The quality is good. As one who hates heavy gear, this is about as heavy as I can bear for a tripod.

I use it when shooting Nikon F90X with 105mm AF Micro-Nikkor or Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 ATX-Pro. No problem so far.

I have had the larger 700DX for about 5 years now and it is still in perfect working order after some pretty abusive use. Looks beat up but works flawlessly. I know it's bigger than the 340DX but it is made of the same material so I thought I would vouch for it's durability.