Slightly rotated crops don't fully "stick" in Photoshop

<p>Simple question; I just want to ensure I'm not missing something. I use CS3 and CS2 and have experienced this with both.</p>

<p>When I want to crop and level an off-kilter photo (say, 3-15 degrees off level) in one step, I draw the crop box, then rotate it (click-drag outside of it) so that the top and bottom of the crop area are parallel to the horizon (or sidewalk, store window, roofline, etc.), then I hit Return/Enter.</p>

<p>But often as not, Photoshop doesn't rotate it all the way to make it level; it only rotates it part way. Then I have to Undo the crop-and-rotate and go back and do a Rotate > Arbitrary, guessing at the desired degree of rotation over and over until the photo is level, and only THEN do I crop it.</p>

<p>Am I missing something, or is it routine for Photoshop to not rotate as much as requested a simultaneous rotate-and-crop?</p>

Photoshop will tend to "snap" to certain values when adjusting borders or angles. Hold the CTL key to override snapping.

<p><p>

The best way to level a photo is using the Measure tool (a small ruler in the Crop window). Draw a line inside the image then use Rotate-Arbitrary to make that line perfectly vertical or horizontal. You can use the horizon as a target, but if the horizon is tilted (e.g., mountains), pick a vertical subject like a tree near the center of the image. For buildings, it is usually best to straighten a vertical line near the center of the image. Sidewalks, tops of buildings and verticals near an edge are subject to convergence.

<p><p>

After leveling the borders will be crooked or clipped. Use the crop tool to even the borders. Hint: The less you have to correct the level, the less cropping will be required. Try to get it right in the camera.

<p>Thanks, BW and Edward. It took me awhile to find the Measure tool (it's behind the eyedropper tool) but after that I figured out what you were talking about, thanks also to this online tutorial:</p>

<p>http://tricks.onigo.net/guides/2005/08/level-photos-step-by-step.html</p>

<p>I still would like to crop and rotate in one step, but I won't complain since the Measure Tool settles to 0.01 degrees what the "Arbitrary" rotate setting should be and I can easily crop after that. Thanks again!</p>