Slideshow Presentation

michelle a.

My first wedding of the 2007 season. The ceremony was supposed to be outside,

the formals were supposed to be at a local park, but because it had been stormy

for two solid days, and the weather still wasn't cooperating everything was

moved indoors.

I shot most of these if not all of them.... wide open. Started with ISO's at 400

and eventually upwards of 1000 as the day progressed.....

Even at f/2.8 I feel some of these don't have the shallow dof I would have liked

to have seen..... but overall I'm happy with them. Would love to get feedback

from all of you. This was only my sixth wedding, btw.... Can't help but feel

that I have such a long way to go to get where I could be...

http://www.michelleamarante.net/blog/shows/katiejohn/index.html

Well, for your sixth wedding, I think you did a fine job! I like the expressions you got and you've seemed to capture the story of the wedding. I'm sure the bride and groom are very happy with these.

If you're that worried about getting the shallow DOF, you may have to upgrade to a 1.2 or something, but here's a couple secrets with that: 1. if you shoot without the flash, the DOF will be much more obvious. 2. the closer you are to the subject the shallower the DOF.

Now, you may have already known that, but most of your still life shots showed nice DOF and the actual wedding portraits were not so shallow and I think that may be why. I'm not sure it's necessary all the time, though! Just my opinion. :o) You can also add a bit of DOF in post if you have the time.

I am just starting out with wedding as well, so I know the feeling of having so much to learn. Just keep having fun with it and I'm sure we'll both get there one day!

:o)

<i>slide show has too much regular and predictable zoom and pan. The music is also a bit too elevatorist.</i>

Indeed! I agree with you there, slideshow is nothing fancy, but then it isn't meant to be more than a quick preview of images for my blog... the music is right out of Show It Web 2.5..... Boring!

I've got ProShow Gold for serious slideshows..... but thank you so much to both of you for the feedback!.... I seem to have a hard time getting any around here....

Rachel.... I've been thinking of getting an 85 f/1.4, in face I would love to, but the price is scaring me! Plus all of the lenses I have in my bag, all f/2.8's cover every range I could possibly need from 14mm to 200mm....

I can only hope my sixth weddings is as good as yours! I enjoyed the show...as for the DOF, I agree with the others, you may want to invest in the 1.2.

As for the slideshow, any suggestions as to how to mix up the slides so they are less predictable? I use the ULEAD and it only gives you a few basic options...

L

The skin tones were on the money and the high rez didn't bother me. I did feel the contrast was a bit high so there was no softness to the faces. Maybe it was me, but I felt as though you were shooting upwards. Maybe bending down and shooting up. the subjects bodies were at the camera level. Or it looked that way on a lot of images. This is ok, just perhaps mix the angles up some. Shoot up high, like from chair and even at ground level.

For just a few weddings your exposures are really good.

Leona, David, Bob.... Thank you!<p>

<i>"I felt as though you were shooting upwards"</i><p>

Bob you had to hear me laugh when I read that.... Heh... I probably was shooting upward most of the time. As someone of "short stature"(barely 5'1") everyone is taller than me!... except for my child portrait clients ie. two year olds!... <p>

I did stand on a chair for some of the dancing shots (not shown) but felt unsafe..... I think I'm going to need to find a good solid step stool and bring it with me from now on.... I really love your suggestion of trying different angles.<p>

I was really concerned going into this wedding about trying to show my bride in the best way, because she is a big girl. But she's very comfortable in her own skin, and the two of them were so laid back, that I was able to just relax and go with the flow....<p>

Leona, you may want to look into ShowIt Web.... you can add your own music, timing and transitions. It's a nice little product.<p>

David thanks, coming from you it means a lot to me!