Slide projector - can I use a 200W bulb in a 100W rated fitting?

henry_kitchen

<p>Hello all,<br>

I've recently purchased a Minolta Mini 35 slide projector to view my Dad's old slides and it's worked absolutely great until today - the bulb has blown! The original bulb was only marked with the manufacturer's name (Kondo) and the voltage/power (240V/100W). It has a small single-pin bayonet fitting which (from online searches) appears to be referred to as BA15S or A1/83. I've scoured the internet for bulbs of the same type, but the only 100 Watt bulb I can find is £30! However, for £5, I can get a 200W bulb with otherwise identical specifications. The projector's base is marked "100W max", but I've read that the power rating of a fitting really refers to the highest temperature it can cope with. Would it be safe to fit a 200W bulb if I add a high-power fan to cool the bulb? If not, does anyone know where to get a 100W bulb for a reasonable price?<br>

Here is a gallery of the original bulb: <a href="https://postimg.org/gallery/10rz3obh4/">Gallery</a><br>

Thanks,<br>

Henry :)</p>

<p><strong>NO !!!!</strong></p>

<p>Do <strong>NOT</strong> put a 200w bulb in a 100w projector.<br>

<br />#1 - The wiring of the projector may not be able to take the additional current draw of the 200w bulb. Too much current draw and things could fail, sometimes badly, as in a fire.<br>

#2 - The extra heat from the 200w bulb can do serious damage to the projector.</p>

<p>Hi Henry.</p>

<p>As Gary says, not only can the extra heat damage the unit but it could also damage the electrics in the projector. It's rather like plugging two 10 amp heaters into one 10amp socket.</p>

<p>The BA15s refers to the base. BA = bayonet, 15(mm) for the diameter and s for single contact point.<br>

<br />It seems it is an old style of lamp and not made any more. I think your only option, depending on cost would be to get someone to replace the socket base in the projector with one that would suit a modern 100w globe. But it may not be worth it.<br>

<br />Good luck.<br>

Laurie</p>

<p>Used slide projectors go for very low prices at thrift stores like Goodwill. </p>

<p>(Since you ask about a 240V bulb, you might not be in the US, but there should be thrift stores where you are.)</p>

<p>The Kodak carousels are very popular, though the bulbs are sometimes not so cheap. <br>

Should be a lot less than £30, though.</p>

-- glen

<p>Looks like BFD, CEM, CDD are the 120V lamps, and yes CJW/CJT are the 240V version of those.</p>

<p>The shape and position of the filament are an important part of getting appropriate light over the slide, so you can't really get too different. Also, there should be an appropriate heat absorbing glass for the rating lamp power. </p>

-- glen