Slide copy using PS-4 or similar, am I doing it wrong?

oskar_ojala

<p>I have a PS-4 slide copy attachment and a PB-5 bellows. I've used this setup to copy some slides using my D300 camera. So far so good, but I have one problem: the exact alignment of strip film. There is a hole in the PS-4 apparently to slide in the strip film, which I do, but there is no mechanism to tension the strip, so it's weighed down by either side, causing it to be non straight and occasionally not completely flat either. What should I do? I would expect that a rig like this would be somewhat like a enlarger fixture for film, i.e. some metal boards would clamp down to hold the film. I'm already considering buying other manufacturers copiers to try out, but I would like to save some time and get your opinion on how to clamp down the film.<br>

Otherwise I like the setup, the shift feature is very useful when doing a close-up of a slide.</p>

<p>You might try setting up the PS-4/PB-5 pointing downwards or upwards to remove the tendency of the film strip to twist. It's been a long time since I owned the PS-4 but I thought it had two round 'trays' attached to the sides to hold the excess film. Not sure maybe I'm thinking of my PS-6 which does.<br>

Also, you might be able to insert a empty slide mount into the film gate to produce more flatness.</p>

<p>Michael, do you have a picture of the relevant part? I could try to post a pic of my PS-4 tomorrow to compare whether a part is missing.<br>

Richard, I've been thinking about pointing it downward, but I'm afraid that it will just twist a differently. There are the round holders on the side, but I don't think they work well with the strips of six that I use, they're probably for full rolls.</p>

<p>I had to look at my PS-4 to remember. There are no clips. Meybe the PS-5 has clips?<br>

In looking at my PS-4, I suppose one could fold up a ziploc bag with the Ziploc cut off to make a clear gasket on the backside of the film holder. They'd probably have to open the door each time they moved the strips, but it might work... A piece of thin translucent vinyl might even work better. But that's what I see looking at my PS-4.</p>

<p>My guess is your film cover hinge is loose or mis-alighted. The film cover should touch the slide holder with very little gap and no gap with the film in it. There is also a slight fiction to prevent the film from sliding without you moving it. See picture. Notice there should be no gap between the film and both of its side. </p><div>00UJh7-167793584.jpg.bed5d10eb1691e12ab4930e5276648a9.jpg</div>

<p>Tommy, my PS-4 looks exactly like that. I took it out, took the "flip" off to clean it, reattached and played a little with it. When trying it with film, it seems to work better now, but I have to "dupe" a few slides to really try it out. It may also be that thinner negs cause much more problems than some thick slides.<br>

I any case, it would be nice if it was a bit tighter or even user adjustable. I'm thinking if I could put in some rubber to lock the film, but it might be difficult.</p>