SL2 - wide and long lens choices?

astral

I've been searching for a decent, cheap, classic Canon F1 and 24mm/35mm f2 lens for a while, but without any

success. However, I've just been offered a 'classic' black Leicaflex SL2 for a very (very) fair price, all

professionally checked over and adjusted as required, etc. So, I am very tempted .... despite a price difference

vs vintage Canon gear.<br><br>

The one thing that I don't know about the SL2 is its suitability for use with quite short (24mm) and fairly long

(180mm) lenses - particularly with respect to the split-screen black-out that occurs with some older cameras from

other makers (admittedly at f3.5 onwards). I presume that the 24mm f2.8 shouldn't be a problem, but I am wondering

about the 180mm f3.4 or f4 lenses in particular - what's the situation there, please? <br><br>

A supplementary question might be this: Are there any really great "must-have" lenses, or "forget that" options

for the SL2? It's hard to imagine any real 'dogs', but I am totally unfamiliar with R-mount cameras/lenses.<br><br>

Many thanks, AC.<br><br>

BTW: My initial (affordable) lens line-up would be 24mm/f2.8 & 35mm/f2.8 - and ultimately a 50mm and 180mm

<i>when</i> I get a lottery win!

I’d grab the black SL2 if working properly, it will be a lovely camera.

The 2.8/24 is generally not considered one of the better lenses in the R line. I have not personally used one as general opinion turned me off. It could just be snobbery due to it being a Minolta design, I’m sure it’s not a bad lens, but you may be better off with the 2.8/28.

I would get the 2/35 Summicron (second version) over the 2.8/35. In my opinion, the 2/35 is one of the best R lenses, and is available for a reasonable price. This would be my first buy.

My other two favourites are the second version 2.8/19 Elmarit and 2.8/100 APO Macro Elmarit, although both are quite expensive.

The 3.4/180 is a great lens, very sharp. Its weakness is its close focus distance, which is not very close.

I use the 180 f3.4 and 35mm Elmarit as my main lenses on my SL2. If I want a zoom, I use the 80-200 f4 Vario-Elmar. I also occasionally use a 400 f6.3 Telyt. I've use many other lenses over the years on this camera, but these are my go to lenses for this camera.

Thanks gentlemen.

I had some recollection that the 24/2.8 has a bit of "history" and may not be much better than my 24/2.8 Nikkor.

OK, it sounds like I should investigate the 28/2.8 instead. It might make the 35mm f2 a lower priority tho' and

I'd pick a 50/2 instead - at least to start with. Ideally I'm looking for just a three lens kit ... 28-50-180

would do just as well as 24-35-180 ... "It ain't what you have that really matters, it's how you use it".

Thanks for the tip on the 180/3.4 APO - is the minimum focus very close? I could live with 2.5-3m for most

purposes, since it would mostly be used for landscape photography. I guess a short extension tube might just be

useful

...... if Leitz made 'em.

Yes the SL2 comes via a popular UK-based Leitz trained repairer: all faults fixed (within reason), and cheaper

than a Canon F1 or Nikon F2, etc, in comparable condition .... it's the cost of lenses that is scary!

I had the 24/2.8 for years and it amazed me every time I used it. It's sharp and contrasty, its colour is rich but its main strength is small amount of distortion. Photos taken with it looked very natural and you could not tell that it was taken with such a wide lens.

The 24 has some issues with off axis images that should be within the debth of field that are not sharp.

The off axis in the focus plane is sharp however.

I used the 21 4.0 and the 28 2.8 both of which are pretty good.

180 4.0 is a typical Leica tele. The 180 3.4 is APO and is a sharper lens. The downside is it is awkward and front heavy and most use odd ser 7.5 filters.

90 2.8 is the best 90. 90 Summicron is good. 80 1.4 is well liked by some. Not the best at 1.4, but Very nice at 5.6.

The best 35 is the 2.8 with 55mm filter threads. The 2.0 and first 2.8 are ok.

60 2.8 is a great lens. 100 APO is a Killer.

I guess that in the highly religious Leica community the 2,8/24 is mostly disregarded because of its Minolta heritage. Looking at it a bit more rationally, you'll find that it is a fairly sophisiticated design with floating elements and a very satisfactory performance; only in very demanding situations the wide-open performance may be behind the latest designs, but I bet that most of us wouldn't see any difference.

For value and performance I suggest 90mm and 35mm Summicrons. The 180mm 3.4 is a bargain too. I also recommend either of the 28mms. All of these are excellent lenses. If you have more money or want more exotic choices then I suggest the 80 1.4/35 1.4/ and 19mm ver 2. The 100mm APO is also legendary.
Robin Smith

Alan, I've got two SL's, one SL2 & one Standard. For me the most used wide has been the 28mm 1:2.8 Elmarit & the best tele

has been the 180 1:4 Elmarit. I also have the 21 1:3.4 Super Angulon (for the Standard and with Ring 22228 for my M2 as well);

the 50 Summicron, the 60 Macro-Elmarit (truly a marvelous lens); and the 90 Summicron which, as has been said above, is

probably the best Leicaflex/lens combo. if you could only have one lens.

Thanks for all the ideas - The 90mm seems to have a lot of afficionados, and I have seriously toyed with the idea

- not least because they can be really cheap. The 28/50/90 combo is quite 'conventional', but a viable

option if prices are right. This would suggest a 19mm or 21mm, rather than a 24mm, in due course - and I

<i>really</i> like 21mm. Still, if a good deal comes along I could be seduced - far, far too easily!<br><br>

Yes Robin, I've seen many 2-cam lenses at less than the cost of an equivalent Nikkor, though 3-cam & ROM lens

prices will always be too "scary" for me - the trouble is that 2-cam lenses are a bit scarce hereabouts.<br><br>

Hopefully I'll clinch the SL2 deal early next week ....

Be aware that there are (at least) two versions of the 28/2.8 Elmarit. The merits of the older version are in dispute, but the

current version with built-in lens hood seems to be universally praised. It does cost considerably more, though - i got a

used sample for about $1100. I like it quite a lot.

I used to have the 35/2 Summicron, late version, but found it wasn't any better than a Canon 35/2 EF. That is to say, not

bad, but not exceptional either, as the Canon 35/2 is easily bettered by the 35/1.4L.

<i>"Be aware that there are (at least) two versions of the 28/2.8 Elmarit" </i> - why am I not surprised? Each

with its own filter arrangement and unique quirky hood no doubt ... That's one thing that Leitz/Leica never

seemed to get a grip on - hoods and filters. <br><br>

Despite such scepticism I've reserved an unmarked 28mm Elmarit c/w "useless" hood (the one with "28" on the

barrel). $320 with a year's warranty sounds fair to me - Yup, it aint much dearer than a 28 AIS Nikkor (Robin).

Please

don't tell me they go on 'Bay for $199 ...

Dang! Why is Leica-dom so complicated? After some surfing/browsing here and there I'm wondering if all late

(pre-Asph) 28/2.8 Elmarits are 3-cam, or if any could actually be "3rd cam only" lenses? I believe, those only give

stopped-down metering with a SL2.

I thought running M and Barnack cameras and lenses was complicated ... What am I getting myself in to?

Alan Clayton wrote: "<I>I'm wondering if all late (pre-Asph) 28/2.8 Elmarits are 3-cam, or if any could actually be "3rd cam only" lenses? I believe, those only give stopped-down metering with a SL2.</I>"

<P>

There are no 28mm Elmarit-R ASPH (yet), and 3rd-cam lenses will not fit on the SL2 without modification (50mm Summicron-R seems to be an exception).

OK Doug - I just stumbled over the "3rd cam" complication in relation to the SL/SL2 elsewhere on P-net. Clearly

experience is needed in this territory - which I don't have - and this makes me wary of buying online/unseen,

especially at auction.

I just learned that the SL2 will be in the post on Monday, and I'm keen to run a film through it during the week:

having a lens could be rather useful! But I can't recall if the 28/2.8 lens I've reserved is 3-cam or 3rd-cam

.... I must pay more attention to detail.