Sky (symbols)

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Julie H, May 13, 2017.

1. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

unless you follow (or are a) Nut

Nut was the Egyptian sky goddess. She was depicted as a giant woman who was supporting the sky with her back. Her body was blue and covered by stars. The Sun was a child of Nut.

2. Nut is in the OP. And I'm not talking about me.

3. Norman 202

but not in all her glory.

4. Norman 202

quite right too. but what does blanket of white, or grey, signify? can we ever capture that significance ?

5. Norman 202

when the sky is covered with a blanket of cloud we are witnessing the sky god's benevolence. don't look at me, he says, look at your surroundings and revel in all that natural colour and all that detail.

cloudy weather certainly brings out the best in nature photography, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. Depends on what else is going on in the photo and which . . . nut . . . is projecting the significance.

7. Norman 202

HTH

BLANKET OF FLUFF

a halo of snowflakes

encircles my * crown *

alights on brisk hair

f l u t t e r s on lashes

dusts my wool coat

playfully *hangs*
    on my winter * scarf *

numb fingers inside homemade gloves
    gather around the warmth of the palm

flake friends
    compress my boots
    leaving prints
    and crunch -

as i walk
    in pure white -
    newness of life

a camouflaged bunny
    appears so opal bright.

is he a shovelful of snow,
    or born of a cookie cutter’s press?

an artist spreads s n o w f l a k e s
    with his bunny tail brush

only irises and pupils,
    pink noses and cheeks,

p e e k out from the artist’s blanket of fluff.

Kim Rodrigues © 2016

8. Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
    A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe

Milton Drake, Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston © 1943

Landrum Kelly likes this.
  9. Sky - Inevitable part of nature. As most of nature, it can be endlessly fascinating one day, and incredibly boring the next. When shooting outdoors, the sky contains the prime source of light, and if cloudy it contains light modifiers one has to take into account. So, waiting for the right sky for me has as much to do with waiting for the right light as it has with waiting for the right composition. Clouds can add texture, density, shape, so they play into the composition part heavily.

When I am staring at the sky, I hardly ever feel like taking a photo. When I am taking photos, I judge the sky on the light it delivers and the compositional elements it can provide me. Somehow two seperate brain activities.

10. Right? What makes it "right"?

Right? What makes it "right"?

On what criteria?

What would those be?

11. Julie, feel free to ignore my posting if you cannot answer those questions for yourself. I think it's obvious enough what I tried to say.

Uhooru and Landrum Kelly like this.
  12. I should have included "for you" in all of my questions. Given a piece of paper or a monitor display that you might show me of one of your tonal/color arrangements (aka photographs), how do you know what, in that tonal/color arrangement, is "right" for ... whatever it is that you are doing?

13. Thanks for reminding me why I no longer should be visiting this forum anymore.

14. See, it's true. Enhanced interrogation doesn't work.

15. Funny, I didn't sense Wouter needed help. And I doubt Supriyo did, either.

Nice thread, Supriyo. Maybe Julie will consider submitting a picture to it and stop trying to help those who don't need it.

16. Yes, it is. The title word, Backdrop, is especially useful. Hmmm ... what is a backdrop? Oops. That's a question. Sorry if I scared anybody.

17. No need for anyone to be scared, Julie. Google it or get out your dictionary. That ought to get you some of the "official" meanings. If you want something better . . . and photographic . . . look through the thread and you'll see all the different ways people interpret "Backdrop." Various and assorted interpretations of a theme is kind of the point of many of the No Words threads. Sometimes, very loose and creative interpretations. No need to ask for verbal definitions. Just look—it's photography.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. Just look — it's symbols.

19. OK, Julie. Whatever you say. I've had enough for one morning.