Skunk photography

sandy_quandt

I searched the archives, but only found suggestions for removing skunk spray from gear, and I'm hoping to avoid having to use any of the suggestions. Tonight, while intently photographing dragonfly metamorphasis, I heard a noise and saw two skunks wandering about three feet away from me. Of course, my first instinct was to turn the camera and shoot; however, common sense prevailed (for once) and I just sat still and waited for them to leave, since I didn't want to startle them with a flash until I knew how they would react. Is it best to just sit still in these situations, when a small critter wanders this close? Would the flash have caused them to spray? It killed me to miss a shot like this, but I thought I'd better ask the experts and avoid having to try to figure out how to remove the spray.

Thanks for any advice!

I've had a similar experience in daylight.

<p>

It seems skunks have poor eyesight and, unless they catch you odor, they may be unaware of you, if you are still or move very slowly. I suggest working from as much distance as you can and be aware of their body language. If they stop whatever foraging they are doing and start looking around for you, I suggest you either remain still, if at a distance, or move slowly away. In no event do you want to startle them!

<p>

I'm not sure how the species or any individual may react to flash, but you could check first from a distance just by popping a few flashes and see what happens. In my experience, most animals don't react much to flash, even pretty jumpy creatures like deer.

<p>

Frank

Skunks are actually more tolerant than most people think. I have driven them away from our dumpster a few times, even had one in a live trap and was able to open the door and let him out (moving slowly, of course) without being sprayed. Their spray can go about 10 feet, I have been nailed a couple times (one night my brother dumped a can of garbage on top of one while I was with him, another time I was pulling a juice can off a skunk's head), if you're anywhere within about 20 feet you will get some of the residual.

<p>

They'll usually give you lots of warning, hissing and stamping their front paws, then finally "turning tail" on you. Whenever I see one I'll talk softly to it to let it know I'm there, they usually try to get away from you before taking action. A lot depends upon how much contact they've had with humans, one that is fairly "wild" can be more easily startled into defensive action, those around campgrounds and backyard neighborhoods are usually more tolerant. I've never set off a flash in one's face, so I can't speak from experience there.

Many years ago, while working as a dispatcher at the Ft.Knox, KY motor pool, we had a skunk that lived under the building..he came into the building on each of the three shifts (it was a 24 hr/7 day operation) and begged bits of each dispatchers lunch. Several people took flash pictures of him (or her) from as close as two feet away. The only time the skunk sprayed was when a new dispatcher refused to share his lunch and shooed the skunk out of the office with a broom. I don't know if this helps, but it was my impression that skunks are pretty laid back unless physically threatened. Good luck with your skunk shots/

Thanks for the responses! The skunks (youngsters, I think) were back again last night; however, I'm approaching this whole thing very cautiously. I'm going to try the flash from 30 feet just to see the reaction and proceed from there. Hopefully, if they're annoyed, they'll give me the warning signs first! Again, thanks for the information.

<P>By curious coincidence, my TV was tuned in on some inane local news program the other day and they had a woman who was given the nice moniker of "Skunk Lady". She was actually holding these critters in her arms and talked about feeding them, how she had never been sprayed, etc.

<P>It's too bad this thread showed up after the TV program. I didn't pay any more attention (maybe I'm just not terribly interested in skunks), but it did show that the animals don't spray without some sort of provocation (well, provocation in their minds). Good luck!

Since you demonstrate the skunks are returning, you might consider the following, and plan a photo-op.

Too many years ago, I was a student at Middlebury College. A skunk wandered into the dorm late at night, and I successfully shooed it all the way from the (oriental rug- and grand piano-festooned) commons room, down hallways, through fire doors (I pre-opened), and just about out the last door...when it discovered its image in a floor-to- wherever mirror. It then spent an eternally long (twenty minutes?) time examining the other skunk; I was just sorry it was 2 AM and I couldn't share the experience with others. The whole time, it let me herd it, and warned me only if I came within, say, twelve feet.

If you could set up a mirror where you know the skunk(s) will be...

Good luck!

One respondent mentioned having a close encounter with skunks in the daylight. The first thing I think of when I see a skunk in daylight is rabies, since skunks are normally nocturnal; I think it is also wise to take precautions even if the encounter is at night. In fact you might do well to treat a skunk with as much respect as you would a rattlesnake with four legs. The following are quotations from a web document published by the University of Nebraska at http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/wildlife/g641.HTM.

<p>

"Of all wild animals submitted to the Nebraska Department of

Health in recent years to be tested for rabies, over 90 percent of the infected ones have been skunks."

<p>

"In the final stages of the disease, skunks may seem tame or listless and may wander about in the daytime, exhibiting little fear of people. They can also appear unusually aggressive or nervous and may

salivate."