Skateboard flash

conorwaldock

Hey im just about to buy a new lense for skateboard photography, a sigma 8mm fisheye. I would also like to

purchase a flash gun that is not attached the the camera. I'm using a canon 20D and as i said will be using a

sigma 8mm fisheye. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers, Conor

www.strobist.com

Read everything there.... then you'll have a better idea of what type of gear you want. Probably some type of hotshoe flash with manual control, off camera on a light stand, with some type of radio trigger. Lots of choices at lots of different price points.

hello...

i do alot of bmx stuff.. been published in a few magazines, plenty of websites, and shot a few adverts for some of the

bigger bike companies, and nike 6.0.

if i was you, i would opt for the tokina 10-17mm fisheye. im sure the 8mm is a great lens, but will give you the (in my

eyes) horrible black circle around the edges of your photo. for nikon users, we have the 10.5mm lens, but the 10-17mm

is also amazing and available for canon.

lighting wise... 'strobist' is the way to go.

it would be extremly nice to take my studio lighting and pack on location with me like i do for fashion stuff (i dont shoot

bmx half as much as i used to) but it would just be too much hassel! portability is key!

i use sunpak flashes, all manual power. but i would read up on strobist, as anything with variable power manual power

and a fast duration is great.

another good idea is to deffinitly look into a wireless flash setup. theres loads out there... elinchrom skyports, pocket

wizard... or the 'ebay triggers' tend to not be THAT bad if you can handle a few misfires.

from my experience... 2 flashes is a good start, and i would look into getting 3 flashes in the long run. that way you have

enough light to generally get what you need most of the time... but should also be able to fit the lot in a normal photo

backpack.

hope this helps,

paul<div>00QhIV-68465684.jpg.2c7a4800da402105bb91a5aa8cd3b28a.jpg</div>