Site rotates photo from portrait to landscape orientation upon download

User_2000406

<p>I tried uploading a new photo with a portrait orientation from my hard drive and each time it ends up with a landscape orientation in my gallery, ruining the effect. At first I thought maybe the photo was too large and sure enough it was, but cropping it down to 700 pixels in the longer dimension did not help when I tried uploading it again after deleting the previous copy. The photo is in my "single photos" folder. </p>

<p>Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I did a search and didn't find anything similar being mentioned.</p>

<p>Bob nailed it. I just looked at your image in Photo Mechanic, a very good metadata editing program that respects the EXIF image orientation bit, and it appears in the orientation that you desire. Obviously, the photo.net uploader doesn't strip this bit, but it also doesn't pay any attention to it, and nor does Firefox, the browser I happen to be using at the moment. Picasa Photo Viewer and XnView also display it in the desired orientation, whereas Irfanview, Windows Photo Viewer, VuePro and several other viewers completely ignore it.</p>

<p>The safest thing is do an actual image rotation (lossless, if possible) and turn off the flag, and then it should display correctly everywhere.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Hi Bill - To see the orientation flag, you have to use a tool such as "EXIF Tool Gui" that displays all the metadata contained in the file. </p>

<p>Very few image display / editing programs ever explicitly show the flag. Either, they will simply change their display of the image based on its setting, or not, depending on their design. I gave examples of both types of programs in my previous post. </p>

<p>Attached is a screen capture from "EXIF Tool GUI" pointed at your file. The orientation flag is the third entry down from the top.</p>

<p>HTH,</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00YC0r-330705584.jpg.60c852bd5727a9ebcab98a2fdc8ff083.jpg</div>