Site performance

don_cooper

I have AOL 7.0 and WIN XP and cookies enabled. I have no trouble accessing other web sites. In photo.net there are many pages I regularly can not access whether I am logged in as a registered user or not, it makes no difference. I get "web site not responding" message or simply the page doesn't load and says "DONE". Examples of some pages or areas I can not access are FAQ, Contast Us, Learn. I can access the Forum bulletin board and do posting, and access the galleries.

Any ideas???

At times the site is very slow. This happens at very predictable times due to heavy load, such as between 11AM and 3PM Eastern Time. Occasionally, the site will slow down at odd times, and this usually turns out to be a robot, or somebody with an offline browser, hammering the site. We are working to increase our capacity significantly and, in fact, expect to put a new database server into operation during the next few days. We also plan to protect ourselves better from irresponsible robots, etc.

Lately, we have also had a spate of reports of particular pages not displaying, other than things like the Unified View which are expensive to compute and tend to be affected when the site slows down. The "pages not displaying" problem invariably turns out to be because of Norton Internet Security 2003, which is popular but buggy. The fix is to turn it off completely, or to upgrade to NIS 2004 or some other product.