Sirui tripod decision

Mike_R1664876643

<p>I know this is a decision only I can make but I always value the opinions from Photo Net members more than any other board on the internet, so thought I would put it out there. I currently use a Gitzo gt2531 Mountaineer as my one and only tripod. While it's not a huge tripod I really want a smaller more compact tripod to complement it, while continuing to use the 2531 when I don't need to pack it or for shorter hikes. My main camera is a D810 and heaviest lens an 80-200 2.8. I've been looking at the Sirui N-2204x and the T-2205x carbon fiber travel tripods. The 2204x folds up to 18", and goes to 54" without raising the center post. The 2205x folds up to only 14", but only goes to 49" without the center post. I'm 5'10" so would need to lean a over a little with the 2205x unless I use the center post. I'm leaning towards the 2205x simply because it's a lot more compact than my gt2531, giving each a distinct advantage over the other given the situation. When I need something very light and compact I'll take the 2205x, and when that's not a concern, I'll use the gt2531. I am really set on the Sirui brand. They seem very nice for the price compared to say a Gitzo traveler or an RRS.<br>

Any thoughts on this, or just in general about your preference for a travel tripod? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. </p>

<p>If the info I have is correct then the 2204 weighs actually 100g more than the GT2531 and the 2205 200g less; that's not significant either way. Naturally, four or five section tripods fold more compact than three section ones. The more sections though, the thinner the lowest ones become. Both the 2204 and the 2205 start with the same leg thickness on top, so the lower section is skinnier on the 2205 possibly impacting stability.</p>

<p>It appears to me that you don't need a second tripod at all unless you find the GT2531 too burdensome to carry because of its length folded. If so, then the decision between the 2204 and 2205 comes down to how much a compromise you are willing to make.</p>

<p>I settled for a GT1541T as my compromise for a travel tripod. </p>

<p>Thanks Dieter. And that's a good point on whether I really need another one at all. I need to give that some more thought. I have managed to take my 2531 just about everywhere, at least so far. When travelling I take the ballhead off to fit into my luggage. I got interested in having a smaller tripod while visiting Biggs camera shop in Charlotte. They had a tiny one there, too small actually for my camera, but it got me thinking. </p>

• 3 weeks later...
I ended up deciding on the Sirui n1204x for a travel tripod. I'm going on a photo trip to the Pacific Northwest (my first time there!). I really want something smaller than my Gitzo for packing and doing some light hiking. Hoping it works out. I can't wait to see all those great places in Washington and Oregon I've only seen in pictures.