Sirui K30-X stiff panning action

ron_cooley

<p>Hi All<br>

I have a Sirui K-30X ball head that Ive been very happy with for about a year. Not a cheap head, but more economical that an Arca-Swiss or the other big guns.<br>

Lately the panning action has become increasingly stiff, to the point where it 's becoming jerky, making a smooth pan impossible, even with the lock loosened off completely.<br>

I've read of a lot of bad experiences with people attempting to lubricate ball heads--but mostly concerning the ball itself.<br>

Anyone have experience lubricating the panning base? Anyone have other suggestions (Beyond "should have bought a better head--which I can work out for myself")?</p>

<p>Best,<br>

Ron</p>

Actually I sympathize. My first three ball heads had similar problems and they were expensive and "heavy duty."

The first was a #5 Gitzo which was touted to being able to support a small large format but had serious "creep" problems

no matter what size camera or lens you attached,. The other two were massive Graf Studioballs, both of which had

panning base issues. This first one started going bad just after a year and the second one, a replacement for the first,

only lasted a few months before breaking completely while I was on location in SE Iowa, after just a couple of months.

This was in the early '90s. , maybe the modern versions are better now.

After the Graf experience I got my first Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball. Even with a chunk out of its aluminum body it continued

to work well. I sold it to get a newer model that let me change the QR clamp for a Really Right Stuff PCL-1 panning

clamp. That was about 8-10 years ago.

• 4 years later...

Best lube (for head or most anything) is Krytox. Comes in both liquid and grease forms. Otherwise use pure PTFE lubricant; e.g., Teflon. Find on Amazon, eBay, and at bike shops (chain lube).

Do not use:

• Silicone
  • WD40 or Tri-Flow
  • Grease (lithium, white, etc)
  • Petroleum lubricants (oils) or solvents (i.e., if it contains "petroleum distillates", do not use it)

Small 1 oz bottle of Krytox cost me $35 but has served me well for years. Only a tiny application is typically needed.

Xk7yBK3m.jpg