Simple app

donald_miller5

All I want is a simple Iphone light meter app for range finder cameras, I do not spot meter readers or what or what my Iphone needs. I just want to know what setting at a given parameter of ISO, shutter speed and F stop.. Something along the simple lines of the Kodaks frome the 60"s. Any help of course would be extremely helpful. It would be nicer to have it give just to be given an exposure value like on the Signet 50>

THANK YOU

Don

Pocket Light Meter works well. Try it and tell us how it works for you.

I have that but at first it seemed so sensitive to minor movements that the readings fluctuated a lot as opposed to the meters on my range finders. I went back to it and one just has to get used to its personality. Yes it will provide me with what I am looking for. Thanks for advising me to take another look at it

Don

I use Lux, which is free. It's quite OK. If I look now at the app store, though, there is a lot of apps with that name....

I think at the back-end, these applications will not differ much in measurements as they rely on what iOS delivers. The metering on the iPhone seems very much some sort of matrix metering, and with a relatively wide lens (which may include a lot of sky, for example), it means you have to think a bit about where you point it if you have a scene with big differences in light levels.

In my view, if you need an app like this often, it's worth spending some money on a real lightmeter, though. But opinions may vary on that.

It's really unnecessary to have metering if you are shooting color negative film or ordinary B&W. Slide films are the place where very accurate metering is required-- otherwise, not so much given the 3-5 stops latitude in the ordinary films. You will have learn how to use "sunny-16" (Wiki: LINK), of course.

For shooting at ISO 100, the sunny-16 exposure is f/16 at 1/100 sec - adjust from there

sunny-16.jpg.cfba8c4fc186a70c8df7fb0efd890988.jpg

The best light meter I've ever used is the Gossen Luna-Pro SBC, but it's bigger than a lot of the cameras I use it with:|

Gossen-Luna-Pro-sbc-ad-1978-04-MP.thumb.jpg.f7acf96efdd5657627401ccc8da8e1ee.jpg

Edited by JDMvW