Silverfast vs Espon vs Vuescan

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by chuck_foreman|1, Oct 31, 2017.

1. I have a V750 and am familiar with the Epson Scan utility, which is quite good, except that it cannot do multiple scans. OTOH, I hate Silverfast interface and commercial policies (I refuse to pay them $70 for an upgrade from 6.6 to 8) and having purchased the Pro version of Vuescan ages ago, that's what I use. Learning curve is not really intuitive but it's not rocket science either. I you could learn Photoshop, it's a piece of cake. BTW, I've managed multiple scan passes with Epson Scan just by doing three different scans with different exposure settings and then blend in Photoshop.

2. Does the V750 change the scanner light intensity? Doesn't it scan at maximum so that you'll get the max out of your shadow areas during a normal single scan? The scanner should not clip the highlights.
    My V600 scanner picks up the full black to full white data of a picture in a single scan. Of course, I have to adjust the black and white points afterwards in post editing. But there's no additional data I could get from doing multiple scans.

3. I run an Epson V850, and use VueScan 64bit, SilverFast 64bit, and EPSON Scan. All three have assets and drawbacks, and over time I've chosen the software that fits the film. I run Win 10 on a Dell desktop and the scanner is cabled to it.

I don't think that any of the scanning software packages are a "do it all". There are just too many algorithms out there for Fujicolor, Fujichrome, Kodachrome, Kodacolor, ad infinitum.

4. - Are you talking about negatives or slides though Alan?

A properly exposed and developed B&W negative shouldn't much exceed a density range of 2.2, which most scanners can easily cope with. OTOH an unfaded slide can exceed a density range of 3.5 and make the best of scanners struggle to dig out the deepest shadow detail. It's this latter case where multi-pass scanning comes into its own.

The low density range of negatives brings its own issues. A 2.2D range is only a brightness ratio of about 158:1, less than 8 bits in digital terms. So the scanner's 16 bit A/D is effectively curtailed to a meagre 7.5 bits. After reversal and tone curve adjustment, this can easily result in posterisation (visible tone stepping).

Ah, the joys of scanning film!

5. I have an HP scanner that I use for documents set up on my Mac and running Vuescan Pro without any issues. I recently picked up an Epson V800 for scanning 35mm and 120 negatives. On the Epson, I'm using Silverfast Ai and have come to like it. I tried using Vuescan with the Epson for comparative purposes, but haven't been able to "add" the scanner to Vuescan...didn't pursue it any further. You'd think there would be an "Add scanner" option but I haven't found it.

6. The full range is picked up with one scan. OF course, due to the limitations of the V600 scanner, the shadow areas will only allow so much light through the film so it's limited by the dmax of the V600.

Regarding multiscan or multipasses, the V600 doesn't do them. So you;re getting the max out of the scanner in one pass that;s possible.

7. I have the Epson scan (for the Perfection V500) and Vuescan (for both the Coolscan V and the Epson). Used to use the Nikon software and really liked it, but Nikon stopped supporting it and I feel like Vuescan saved me. Nikon had some pretty good sophisticated ICE software to remove scratches and dust which I miss (assuming I’m remembering right). Vuescan is somewhat basic but I’m not a sophisticated user. It works and I’m grateful I can use the scanner at all. Never tried Silverfast though I like the name.

8. VueScan supports ICE too, also with the Nikon scanners. Switch to the pro mode (and Vuescan stops being "somewhat basic"), and go to the filter tab - the infrared cleaning option is used to control the ICE option.
    Note that it doesn't work with B&W film, regardless of the software used.

9. It seems that both Silverfast and Vuescan will sell software to use my Nikon LS-1000 with my Macbook Air, but no suggestion on how to connect one up.

It looks like Silverfast needs a separate license for each scanner, maybe for each different type of computer with each scanner.

I have a lot of different computers (Mac, Windows, Linux) and scanners (Nikon, Minolta, Epson, Canon) so a lot of combinations.

10. Glen_h - Does the LS-1000 use a Firewire 400 cable?

For my LS-4000 to a 2012 iMac, I'm using 1 each Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 cable, which connects to a Firewire 800 to 400 cable.

Vuescan seems to get the job done. So, no complaints there.

11. I still use NikonScan with my CS 9000ED, running under Windows 10.