Silverfast or VueScan for Nikon CoolScan 9000 ED - ICE/Image Cleanup

andersonbooper

Hello!

I am brand new to archiving film and will be scanning a collection of approx. late 1970s transparency slides for a book project. I have a Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED on a PowerMac G5 running 10.4. (Note: I would need to use Silverfast 6, as this is the last version that supports PowerMac/10.4).

I have found many resources comparing VueScan to Silverfast, but between wading through opinions and trying to figure out which features need prioritizing, my brain is about to liquify out of my ears. The priority is capturing as much crisp information from these older transparencies as possible and saving time with a good built-in color correction/dust and scratch removal, as I will be scanning a large collection and won't have the time to do major edits in PS.

I have used VueScan for scanning works on paper and it works great, but I don't mind spending the extra money on Silverfast 6 if the software will save appreciable time and/or produce superior scans/image correction. Could someone please help this newbie out?

Note: I have played with the stock Nikon Scan 4, but the scans aren't yielding a lot of crisp information, and using unsharp mask just seems like putting a band aid over a potentially bigger issue (not great scans). I know this is a powerhouse of a scanner, so I'm wondering if this is user error...

Thank you!

Hello, and welcome to you too!

You have posted the same opening post in at least two forums. Doing so contravenes the site rules and T&C of use to which you agreed when you signed up. And there is a sensible reason for this rule - we don't want responses spread across a range of different conversations. So please don't do that again.

This conversation is better suited to Digital Darkroom where you also placed it.

For those wishing to respond to this conversation - here is the LINK

This conversation is closed.

William