Silly Gitzo tripod question

brian_lyttle

Hi

My wife has a Gitzo tripod that was bought around 2005-2006, but it has gone unused for a long time, we've moved house etc, and I'm trying to get it back in action. Is it just missing a quick release plate? It seems like an odd head configuration since the half-moon shaped knob can't turn while it's screwed into the head.

Can anyone tell me how to identify the model (I couldn't find it on the tripod)? Where can I get a reasonable replacement quick release plate? Which heads would work better with this tripod? I don't mind spending a bit of money to get this sorted out for her.

Thanks!

2067933212_tripod1-Copy.thumb.jpg.1816b2794a60a5e6d9c67fbda3d29f7e.jpg

1952155229_tripod2-Copy.thumb.jpg.7b0820e48b1849847fb6a398f678caf2.jpg

749420976_tripod3-Copy.thumb.jpg.98a99321d6e3eb12ca58b152b9824f4f.jpg

873301309_tripod4-Copy.thumb.jpg.fbca905f997a8634c4d6d3692c077a4a.jpg

I thought I knew something about Gitzo, but this is a complete mystery to me. It may be a knockoff, and there are other problems.

• The leg stops are missing
  • The stud to hold the tripod head should be reversible, 3/8-16 at one end and 1/4-20 at the other
  • The nut securing the stud is too thick. Gitzo uses a thin jam nut which fits flush wit the top, inside a recess
  • The 1/4" portion of the stud is too short to do any good, only two threads showing
  • The column has a raised key. Gitzo uses a key in the tripod which fits a keyway (groove) in the column.
  • The legs look like CF, which was available in 2004, but nothing else looks new.
  • The finish look rough where the column slides.
  • The head is from Mars. Nothing like it from Gitzo.

Gitzo is now distributed by the Vitec Group in the US. Try contacting them for parts and service. At one time, they would return it like new for about $200. For a head, I recommend a good ball head by Really Right Stuff, Arca-Swiss or Acratech. Expect to pay $400 and up for a head that actually holds at an angle and operates smoothly.

The column mounting plate appears to have a non-standard nut, screw and thread adapter stuck onto it. It should just have a 3/8" thread stud for attaching a head.

All that junk needs to go, otherwise a head will never sit firmly on the column.

I presume the multi-knobbed gizmo is a head; missing its weird circular QR plate.

Best option, as Ed suggests, is to return the column plate to its factory condition - if possible - and fit a less weird head to it. A standard 3/8" stud will give you countless head options. None of which need cost hundreds of dollars.

Sorry but besides the funky head that looks like it might have military use and no stops the hardware attaching the legs to the spider looks unfamiliar. I have a 2530 mountaineer from that period and a newer serie V that use stainless bolts with allen(hex) wrench holes for tightening. Earlier pods like my beloved 1325 series iii used covered acorn type nuts. I know that after 2005 all Gitzo pods were made in Italy but mine never had a made in Italy sticker. As well during this time period it was fashionable that some of the pods made by Benro and Flash Point were made as Gitzo look alikes. Is there a Gitzo lable on the tripod? If this is a Gitzo it may be a special use tripod. Then again the fit and finish doesn't look like Gitzo. Sorry if I'm not familiar with this design. Good hunting.

An afterthought. Some columns had a reversible 3/8" - 1/4" stud. It looks like such a stud might have been reversed and then 'cobbled' back to a 3/8" thread.

It's worth taking the thread adapter and nut off, and then unscrewing the rubber-matted top plate. I'm guessing you'll find a double-ended stud in the column that has a 3/8" thread on the other end.

Anyhow, that column top-plate looks identical to every Gitzo column I've ever seen. Some older ones might have a grey plastic cover, but the style is definitely Gitzo.

Thanks for all the replies. I took the tripod into a local camera store and the folks think its a genuine gitzo, but still don't know what model it is. Going to follow up with Vitec based on the serial number.

I'll take a look at the Realy Right Stuff heads. I saw the Gitzo GH2750QR is greatly discounted at https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0013J02OQ/?coliid=I3U5JPLHW1QT0E&colid=1RDIBBRXVOKI6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it at $160. Given the price, is there any reason to consider it? Everything I've read confirms that Gitzo heads aren't great, but then this tripod is going to get lighter use compared to the frequent use by photographers on this forum.

I have one of those from years ago. The ball is very small, consequently not much holding power off-axis. Gitzo QR is barely up to Manfrotto standards. If you're planing to use a ball head, you should stick to Arca-Swiss type clamps and plates, ala RRS, Kirk, or (naturally) Arca.

Of course, you need plates for Arca clamps, but they're fitted to a particular camera, so they never rotate and seldom loosen. They're thin enough to leave in place.

My personal recommendation would be an RRS BH-40 for medium to heavy duty. It's half the weight and 2/3 the size of the BH-55, yet has all the operating features. I have one, and it holds at any angle and doesn't slip. Tension control is okay, but not as good as the Arca, and about the same as the BH-55. The BH-55 holds anything I stick on it, including an 8 pound view camera.