Signature stamp on photos

ken_wang1

<p>I have this D40 Nikon camera.<br>

Someone told me there is a way to put the signature on the photo to protect the my own photos.<br>

Is this something that can be set up in the Nikon D40 itself?<br>

If not, is there some kind of software (preferably free ones) to do it and how?(I don't have photoshop)?</p>

<p>I am not sure what kind of signature you are looking for, but on the manual page 84 they have mentioned how to attach image comment.</p>

<p>If you are looking for copyright information on the photo using software then you can try Photoscape, I have used this it is very easy.</p>

<p>I hope this helps,<br>

Ray</p>

<div>00UuEU-186223584.JPG.436b62c21f36251cc1297516d64dc873.JPG</div>

<p>First, let's be blunt about this: There is no copyright notice, meta data or anything else that can guarantee your copyright will not be violated. If someone sees your photo online and wants it, they will take it and reuse it. And there is no image so small that it's safe from reuse - many of the examples I see of unauthorized reuse involve tiny thumbnails. They may not even bother to clone out an obvious copyright notice or personal logo. They may not even know enough to strip out the meta data or to make a screen capture, which will eliminate any embedded meta data.</p>

<p>That said, you can use the comment feature Ray explained and illustrated very well. You can also add custom data to the <a href="http://www.iptc.org/">IPTC</a> fields in post processing. Most meta data can be modified or added without any degradation to the original JPEG, so you may set up a batch processing run for an entire batch of photos before uploading them to the web. Irfanview and several other free/donorware programs can handle this.</p>

<p>Again, this will not prevent a determined person from reusing your photos without attribution or even heavily modifying your photos for their own reasons. But it helps a little... very little. A quick tour of the web on any typical day will show that unauthorized reuse of images is rampant and virtually unstoppable.</p>

<p>Ken,<br>

Lex has been as clear as anyone can about this. But there are a few things you can do.<br>

1, meta data in camera<br>

2, copy notice on photo<br>

3, in the US - US Copyright office - http://www.copyright.gov/eco/index.html<br>

Now last month on another board I hang out at for my wildlife photos a man went in & posted a shot. At first many of us didn't think much about it. Until it got out... He had stolen a photo from another photographer & posted it as his. As it turns out this specific photo was taken by one of the moderators in another forum on the same board. It didn't take long before it was caught & many got very upset. He was turned in by several to the moderator for the specific board.... But not before he'd gone into another thread & written to that OP - I hope you don't mind me taking these shots & presenting them to my friends as what I shot over the weekend since you don't have a copyright on your shots.<br>

Needless to say - the guy was banned<br>

Now, nothing can stop them from stealing your photos. But adding a visible copyright in a strategic location is a very good idea. I know of one guy who's amazing at locating a location on the specific subject which blends in - yet is extremely well located so that no one actually can edit it out. <br>

I don't think my photos are worth stealing - but to someone they may be. And - they're <em>my</em> work & time away from family etc. Ergo they're mine. I now have started adding a copyright to all my photos.</p>

<p>Hi Ken. if you have the latest firmware you can add the copyright information to the EXIF file of the picture, like how to contact you and your requirements to allow the picture usage but that does not mean people cant stripp that info from your pic and actually use it. your best option is to either watermark or just post low resolution images.</p>