Sigma's new 200-500mm f/2.8

phule

Rob, it really does look pretty neat but c'mon, it is about 35 lbs. And no VR (or OS as they call it). Forget hand holding this lens, how many tripods can hold it?

Very neat for shock factor but I wonder about its practicality. Nevertheless, I would be curious about the price.

And I give Sigma a lot of credit. I have never owned a Sigma lens but they have made incredible strides in the past year IMO. Nice to see they stick their neck out, so to speak.

[[unless one stays put on a spot.]]

Exactly! Mount a 1.6x crop camera on the back and you end up with 1600mm. You don't need to go to the wildlife, it will be right in your frame. :)

Or, if you feel you /must/ get closer, the optional truck-mounted turret system can be added for a reasonable price.

What are those two eyelets on the top? Is Sigma designing a lens crane to go with this thing?

Mary, I don't know of many people who walk around with their 600mm lenses, either; anything this big is pretty much designed to stay in one place after it's set up. Think of the low-light opportunities that this lens plus a D3 would make!

So... I'm assuming you would need lens-mount bracket vs. just mounting the camera body on the tripod?

Either way, certainly not the most practical size-wise (I won't be taking it hiking) but looks like it would be a fantastic sports or wildlife lens. I wonder how much it costs?

This is why I wondered about how practical it will be. Obviously it has to be mounted on something very strong for support or resting on something. A typical tripod setup certainly won't work.

No doubt they will sell some but the cost will be far beyond the hobby budget. Think many $$$$$$$. Still it has to make Sigma feel good that sports and wildlife photogs will be talking about it. That alone may stir some interest in their other lenses. At least I think that is their hope.

<b><i>"I don't know of many people who walk around with their 600mm lenses, either; anything this big is pretty much designed to stay in one place after it's set up. Think of the low-light opportunities that this lens plus a D3 would make!" </b></i>

<p>Nice thought, Les. :) But at 35lbs and measuring 29" x 9" (compared to Nikkor 600mm's 11 lb), it will knock the daylights out of anyone trying to lug it around! LOL!

<p>Mary

I see lots of people walking around with 600 mm lenses. They aren't usually backpacking

miles from the trailhead or bashing through really rugged terrain, but walk they do. But as

M D said, there's a big difference between an 11 lb lens and a 35 lb lens over your shoulder.

I think the intended audience for the 200-500/2.8 is sports, especially night or indoor big-

stadium events, where a long reach and lots of light-gathering ability are important and easy

transportability isn't.

Does anyone remember the S-M-C Takumar 6x7 800mm f4 telephoto for the Pentax 6x7 camera??..

It weighed in at 17,600g or 38.77 lbs..Was produced in the 1970's..Pentax made more then a few as you see at least 1-2 per year for sale on e-Bay..Reportedly has significant chromatic aberration..

Bruce