Sigma Macro #2

joe_nash1

Here are some more pics I took. I don't have a manual for this lens, but I just read

that a true macro lens at 1:1 has very limited DOF. Best measured in mm!

These were taken today, with my AE-1P, with tripod. Apeture was f/5.6-f/8. I used

Fuji 400 Superia.

The ants were the biggest challenge, those little guys are fast! The type of flower

was a Peonie, the ants are there because the Peonie excretes a sweet resin.

Thanks for looking<div>00Pbc1-45493584.jpg.23472955704aef88020ed5e5b4595095.jpg</div>

Now you're working that lens! Good images. As you're finding out there's lots of new

rules when you start working Macro. If it's possible I highly recommend you get a copy

of John Shaw's book, 'Closeups In Nature". Used copies can be had for $10 or less.

You will never regret buying that book. I wore out my first copy carrying it in the field --

working on my second copy now. Lots of luck and enjoy your new lens. Thank you for

posting. Don B in Hampton Roads

I like that water drops on the Hosta shot alot, Joe. Close-up work opens up a whole new world of interesting subjects and compositions. Try a 1.5x or 2x teleconverter, with your macro lens, when shooting tiny critters that are a bit skittish. It gives you a bit more working distance but keeps your close focusing abillity. Let me second the recommendations for both of the books listed above. They are must reads! Good luck with your new explorations........Lou

I especially like the shot of the ant, the spherical flower behind it makes it a very good image. Was it a big ant?

Your last shot, the blue flower, is called "Akelei" in Dutch.

I shoot flowers a lot. It relaxes me. I use 400 ASA film, and shoot handheld, usually at F11. I 've got a Canon 200mm macro.

I think Macro is one of the most rewarding kinds of photography. I used to have a 100mm macro, and I made tens of thousands of shots with it. I took it along on every nature walk.

Bye,

Dirk.