Sigma Foveon Images

blurrist

IMO, Sigma were never the right company to develop the Foveon sensor, and I have no idea why they bought the rights to it in the first place.

Fuji would have seemed a much better match. Since they don't seem to be able to stop themselves from experimenting with weird sensor geometries.

My point of view, which delays FX format foveon sensor is proccessor ability to absorb huge data. This causes unacceptable speed to its users.

And maybe the way to decode X3F to normal JPG, I mean SPP software, is poor.

Another thing, I always face with direct sunlight shooting issue. Same problem I met with Nikon D1* model.

My point of view, which delays FX format foveon sensor is proccessor ability to absorb huge data.

This doesn't seem to be a problem for Sony's 60 megapixel a7Riv. Plus there's no need for complex de-Bayering algorithms that need to look at surrounding photosite data before deciding on a single pixel colour value.

A 24 megapixel full-frame Foveon sensor would seem to present no greater processor workload than that of the above Sony.

Personally, my heart sank when I learned that Sigma had taken Foveon on board. Such promise, in the hands of a company with (at the time) a very poor reputation, and having almost zero experience with sensor production or cutting-edge electronic development.

I surmise that the uptake of Foveon cameras would have been far greater without the S(t)igma attached!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest. How many pixels do those Foveon images really have?

In pixels high by wide?

Because I can't make any sense of Sigma's claimed megapixel numbers.

And is the colour seen above straight OOC?

I always thought the Foveon concept showed great promise, but every review picture looked dull. At least in the early days.

I hope the rights get passed on to a company with the vision and means to develop it properly. I.e. any other company than Sigma!

rodeo_joe|1 said:

Just out of interest. How many pixels do those Foveon images really have?

In pixels high by wide?....I always thought the Foveon concept showed great promise, but every review picture looked dull.

Sigma give a pixel measurement for best quality files from the DP-2 as 2640 x 1760. So far as colour goes, I find the "standard" colour a little too vivid for my taste, and I often shoot in a "neutral" colour setting or desaturate a little in PP. I bought into the Foveon system principally because I was attracted to the quality of the monochrome capture, which some commentators compare favourably with that of the fabulous Leica Monochrom, but I'm certainly not going to get into that discussion! Suffice to say, of the several digital systems I use, the Sigma DP-2 along with the dedicated software produces far and away the best monochrome landscape images, and this was my primary requirement from the camera. I'll post a couple of samples.

996619557_BeforetheRaincopy.thumb.jpg.edd262dfd4d213374bada5593497a374.jpg

1726508496_Landscape4copy.thumb.jpg.d695e44d3688e50d0a32a539fee28a1b.jpg

1872903713_ThePumpShedcopy.thumb.jpg.ecd1df50f38123f4272c8bceab9c8d39.jpg

• Like 5

Richohetrider said:

Ultimately, purchasing one just does not make sense to me

Quite right. However, it's quite obvious from the tomfoolery involved in my amassing a collection of mainly useless photographic equipment that "making sense" is not my strong suit. As a fellow sufferer recently observed, "In crazy we believe..." Here are a couple more samples.

512582672_Landscape8copy.thumb.jpg.675b30e43e5244510801002aa2a54ae4.jpg

1933179512_ChileanBellFlowercopy.thumb.jpg.d2e6efac98dae35ab179cd967f37bcbd.jpg

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, they wanted to multiply the actual photosites by 3 because of the "stack" of bgr sensors in a vertical array. Others countered "no fair" since resolution seemed to depend more on the x-y single surface number of pixels. Blurrist: do we know if the listed resolution above (7680x5120) is the single surface pixel number or that number multiplied by 3 deep?