Sigma Foveon Images

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' started by blurrist, Jan 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Richohetrider said:
    Quite right. However, it's quite obvious from the tomfoolery involved in my amassing a collection of mainly useless photographic equipment that "making sense" is not my strong suit. As a fellow sufferer recently observed, "In crazy we believe..." Here are a couple more samples.

Landscape #8 copy.jpg

Chilean Bell Flower copy.jpg

ericphelps and kklow like this.
  2. If I remember correctly, they wanted to multiply the actual photosites by 3 because of the "stack" of bgr sensors in a vertical array. Others countered "no fair" since resolution seemed to depend more on the x-y single surface number of pixels. Blurrist: do we know if the listed resolution above (7680x5120) is the single surface pixel number or that number multiplied by 3 deep?

3. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

4. So the news is; there's no news.

That does nothing to increase my faith in Sigma's commitment to develop Foveon.

5. rodeo_joe|1 said:
    Right, sadly enough. In the meantime, let's make the most of what we've got.

Morning copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2021
    ericphelps likes this.
  6. ericphelps likes this.
  7. A couple more from a DP-2, to keep things going.

Cyclamen copy.jpg

Brit copy.jpg

ericphelps and ajkocu like this.
  8. The update from Sigma’s CEO Kazuto Yamaki on or about February 19th was somewhat encouraging, and it's a rare occurrence when a CEO states something plainly and sincerely, without any apparent spin:

“In February 2020, we announced our decision to restart our plans for a full-frame Foveon X3 sensor camera, beginning with the development of new sensor technology. We have not been able to share any information regarding this project in the time since, and I would like to use this short message to provide an update about the situation. As previously announced, we halted the development of the project after the sensor we were working with could not go into mass production due to a critical flaw. As a result, we also terminated our contract with the sensor manufacturer with whom we had been collaborating. Further, we determined that the original sensor specifications would make it difficult to develop a product that will meet our and our customers’ high standards, and accordingly, we decided to go back to the drawing board.

At present, we are fully engaged in the research and development of the project, led by our head office, and are reviewing specifications to ensure that we will be able to satisfy the expectations placed on this project. While we have not proceeded to the development of a camera body yet, we will continue to do our utmost to create a camera in which we have full confidence.”

Meanwhile, here are a couple of images from a DP2 Merrill.

Silk House copy.jpg

Jelicoe Street copy.jpg

:

ericphelps and blurrist like this.
  9. ericphelps and rick_drawbridge like this.
  10. I splashed out on an ancient SD14 because of it's easily removable hot mirror & the Foveon's unique response to IR (IR being seen in the red channel giving results similar to the old Aerochrome IR film)
    [​IMG]wrabness aerochrome small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

[​IMG]seafront garden aerochrome small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Getting similar results from a Bayer camera would involve huge amounts of skillfull post processing. The SD14 does this SOOC :)

ericphelps likes this.
  11. petrochemist said:
    Now that's interesting... Here are a couple from a Sigma DP2 Merrill.

Clareville.jpg

Easter.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    ericphelps likes this.
  12. One from a Sigma DP2 Merrill

Lunch copy.jpg

13. Sigma DP2 Merrill.

@4PM copy.jpg

ericphelps and ajkocu like this.
  14. ericphelps likes this.
  15. ericphelps likes this.