Sigma EX HSM 85/1.4 or the AF-D Nikon 85/1.4

cc_chang2

<p>Here is a review I found on line on the new Sigma EX 85/1.4 lens. Anybody cares to share your views on this lens, especially comparing it to the current Nikon AF-D version of the 85/1.4 lens. These two lenses will be priced similarly. With a D90, I am not sure if the AF-S version will offer me any great advantage in the AF area ... Any thoughts?</p>

<p>http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/category/equipment/</p>

<p>Good to see more choices, but we also need some variations in pricing.<br>

The lens seems to be a good one, but the review, comparisons, conclusions and the words used there are biased and unprofessional.  It is a one man's opinion out there on the web...<br>

In order to compete with equivalent Canon or Nikon lenses, Sigma needs to be significatly less expensive, even if provides similar picture quality.</p>

<p>the sigma better be damn good since the nikon 85 AF-S is said to be better than the 85/1.4 D, which is legendary.</p>

<p>also, i think the sigma is priced a little bit more than the AF-D, @ $1400, so it competes with the new $1700 AF-S. which means it better be double damn good, LOL.</p>

<p>if you need a 85/1.4 professionally, you're probably gonna get the new nikon and pay the premium. for more casual use, where focus speed isnt critical, the AF-D, the 1.8, or even the samyang would do just fine, i bet.</p>

<p>not sure where this leaves the sigma. i have a few sigma lenses, but this one doesn't excite me too much. i will say their glass has been getting better than was the case a few years ago. the photos in the review look good, but the comparison is vs. Canon's 85/1.8, not any of the nikkors.if the sigma is sharper and faster in a head-to-head vs. the nikkor 85/1.4 AF-S, well, then i'd have to get excited. for now, i have other priorities...if you shoot primarily portraits, though, could be a winner. bokeh certainly seems nice.</p>

<p>one thing to keep in mind is that these newer lenses cost a lot because they are optimized for higher-resolution DX and hi-rez FX cameras, of which nikon has so far made only two: D3x and D7000. therefore if you have a 12mp or less camera, the 85/1.4 D will likely be plenty good enough. Eventually, this will not be the case--it may not be already for D3x owners--so nikon is trying to future-proof its lens selection with the 85 and the 24/1.4 AF-S.</p>

<p>as we have seen, some older legacy nikkor lenses aren't as good with newer bodies. and some, like the variable-aperture 24-120 VR, were optimized for film and can look soft and non-contrasty on digital.</p>

<p>i wouldnt worry about it too much in any event--the d90 will AF with the 85/1.4 D, and AF-S will be a bit faster but isnt going to be that much help, except maybe in low-light. With the D90, you're probably more limited in focus speed by the AF module and one cross-type sensor than by screw-drive vs. AF-S.</p>

<p>also, used prices on the 85/1.4 AF-D are going down since the new one was intro'd, so now might be a good time to scoop one.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sigma does not have the same good reputation for build quality that Nikon has. This is why I would not recommend the Sigma. Also, resale value is much lower on a Sigma lens than a Nikon lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Have you ever used the Sigma 50/1.4, which many here recommend and which was also mentioned in the review that I posted above? If the Sigma is close to the Nikon in IQ, we are then talking about a price difference between $1,700 and $900.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>used prices on the 85/1.4 AF-D are going down since the new one was intro'd, so now might be a good time to scoop one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How do the AF speed and accuracy of the AFD 85/1.4 in low light (indoors) compared to those of the AFD 85/1.8, which I owned? The 85/1.8 is reasonably fast but hunts a little in low light.</p>

<p>Here is a link to the performance of my copy of the Nikon 85mm f1.4:<br>

<a href="http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/lens_comparison85.html">http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/lens_comparison85.html</a><br>

In it you will find example shots for image sharpness and a graph showing the optimal aperture for the lens. It is a good starting point to compare against other lenses.<br>

The f1.4 focuses easily in low light conditions. Using the cross-sensor locations in your camera will improve the chance of focus lock.</p>