Sigma announces DP2

fred_c1

Looks excellent. The FOV and lens speed were my two original concerns when the DP1 came out. The concern that came later was how long it took to write a RAW file and be ready to go again.

Those three together (combined with the high price kept me out). Any ideas whether the new processor is quicker?

Also, any views as to where these will fit in once the Olympus M4/3 hits the street?

Now the DP2 has a faster lens, and it's not wide enough. No availability date announced yet, so it must be

vapourware.

Funny, I don't recall people complaining about the Rollei 35's 40mm lens being too "normal" or "easy to make."

Hack, it sold a ton without having a rangefinder and still fetches decent prices.

Even if a future DP3 sports a GR21-like lens, there will still be people whining about the increased price and/

or size because it's "harder to make", or too much light fall-off from the super-wide AOV, or too much cropping

is required to isolate the subject, or the perspective is too exaggerated (which will surely be called

"distortion" even if straight lines remain straight.)

Anyone who said the lens could not be faster without being much larger was talking about the lens at that focal length.

Note that still remains true, in order to make the lens faster it's less wide. No magic here folks, Sigma obeys the laws of

physics in this house just like everyone else.

It will be interesting to see what other imrpovements come to the camera, and how soon it arrives... one would hope

before Crristmas but Sigma operates at a more deliberate schedule than most camera makers.

Very good strategy from Sigma. 28 is very good for landscapes where slow operation is not that critical. The biggest problem with the DP1 is that it is slow. Slow to focus, slow to operate, slow to take more than one photo. I would expect improvements in all these fields on the new model. If they had made another, improved 28 equivalent model, they would not be able to clear the existing stock of DP1s. New model with longer lens would surely appeal to many DP1 owners as a second body and some DP2 buyers may want another one with a wider lens and could then still buy the DP1. They can keep both models in production for quite some time, at least until competitors get their act together.

>Anyone who said the lens could not be faster without being much larger was talking about the lens at that focal length. Note that still remains true, in order to make the lens faster it's less wide. No magic here folks, Sigma obeys the laws of physics in this house just like everyone else.

Then the 135-format Nikon 28Ti and Ricoh GR1 series must have defied such laws. Or is the large lens barrel on the Sigma with multiple, much thicker sleeves subject to another set of laws?

[[Then the 135-format Nikon 28Ti and Ricoh GR1 series must have defied such laws.]]

This has been addressed over and over and over again in other threads. Of course, why should pointing

this out be of any help, you clearly have no interest in actually learning.

"Then the 135-format Nikon 28Ti"

You mean the one that used film and so could accept light with much steeper angles?

"and Ricoh GR1 series"

You mean the cameras that have a sensor a tenth the size of the DP-1?

"must have defied such laws."

No. They obey the rules too. You just haven't cracked open the rule book.

Focus isn't so critical with a 28mm equivalent, and you can easily guess distance and use the manual focus dial along with depth

of field. No problem pre-focusing that way shooting street. With 41mm that will be a bit more challenging, but still possible. Might be a

tad more appropriate for auto focus casual portrait type situations.

Illka, you are right about the Sigma strategy being a good one. It is not new, either.

For many years Fuji produced a 645 AF 120 MF camera with fixed lens. You could get it with a 60mm lens (40mm equiv) or a 45mm (30mm equiv).

So, you could choose which one appealed more for you, slightly wide or real wide angle.

I had the 60mm. Bet lots of people bought both. It was a good performer.

llkka,

Perhaps the DP2 will be the DS (Digital Son) of our Fujis

(which, I notice, you still have!)

As I recall, the only thing I didn't like about the Fuji was the non-defeatable auto film advance. While the shutter was quiet it was followed by "whhirrr!" which made close candids tough.....

well, more than one anyway.