Sigma 30 1.4, Sigma 28 1.8, Nikon 35 2

sleake

I have been scouring the threads here and at other sites trying to make up my

mind on these lenses, but I am just about at info overload. I am hoping you can

help me get to the bottom of this (money is burning a hole in my pocket!)

First, I have a D300 and I am looking for a prime for low light, indoor family

type shots mostly. I would also use it for museums and such when we go on

vacation. The ability of the D300 with higher ISO and a fast lens would allow me

to get most of the shots I want.

I currently have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 that I use as my "walk around lens". I find

that a majority of my pictures seem to be in the 24-30mm range (go figure, close

to 50mm on film :) ). It is a good lens that I don't plan to part with, but I

am looking for the even lower light abilities.

While I would LOVE to have a Nikon 28 1.4, it would be the most expensive lens

ever because not only is it hard to find and expensive itself, but it would

probably cost me a divorce too! So that is out.

I started looking at the Sigma 30 1.4 ($400), but it seems to get mixed reviews.

Love or hate tends to be what I read. But from the shots I have seen, pretty

nice in good hands. In those threads, others mentioned the Nikon 35 2.0 ($300),

and in a couple of cases the Sigma 28 1.8 ($270). Are any of these not good

options? For what I want to do, any stand out better than another?

2.0 vs 1.8 vs 1.4..... How much difference are we really talking on a D300? I

can imagine the 300 at 1600 (which can be tolerable) and a 1.4 lens would be

something else.

I like all of these for different reasons. Nikon quality, Sigma 1.4 for

extremely wide open, Sigma 1.8 more of a standard filter size (I am trying to

standardize at 77mm to avoid lots of the same type filters in different sizes).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need to do something before I spend

this money on something non-camera related (now THAT would be a tragedy!).

Scott

hehe, like you said, the 28 1.4 is out of the question, i would suggest the Nikon 35mm. I'm not a pixel peeping kinda guy at all, but at f1.4, the Sigma lens is pretty weak, just like most super fast primes. Stop it down once and you're set. The 35mm f2 is essentially already stopped down. What i mean is that the quality of the 35mm at f2 is equivalent of the sigma at f2. So might as well go with a Nikon lens right?

The sigma does have HSM (AF-S) which is nice, but still, the price doesn't justify it in my opinion. The 35mm f2 is a great lens, but it isn't much of a jump from the tamron you have now, i suspect you can get a crisper shot with the tamron at 17 @ f2.8 the then 35mm @ f2. So, maybe the sigma is worth it, since it is 2 stops from 2.8 to 1.4...

Sorry about injecting just that more doubt, but hey, that's how it goes when buying equipment right?

This is not a comparative comment as I don't have even 2 of the 3 lenses, just the Nikon 35mm f/2.0

I use it on D80, and even at ISO800 (I don't go any higher) it gives plenty of nice low-light performance.

Can tell you that it is sharp, contrasty and the colours are great. Plus due to its small size and weight it makes for a really good walk-around / street lens and very easy to handle and carry. But it is still build pretty nicely.

It is my second favourite lens after my 85mm f/1.4 overall. And at only 1/4 the price of the 85mm, that makes it by a long way the best lens that I own in happiness-for-the-money terms!

As photozone review says, its not quite the perfect lens but it is very good - and, along with the 50mm f/1.8, it is one of the few clear "can't lose" options in the Nikon line-up.

Indeed. You need to mount the Sigma 30/1.4 to get a sense of how it physically handles. I rather like its slight chunky build, and really notice how much quieter its HSM focus motor is than the screw-driven focusing on my Nikon 50/1.8. No, the 30/1.4 isn't perfect into the corners when you have it wide open... but that's never been an issue for the sort of circumstances in which I'd find myself wanting f/1.4 anyway (for background isolation, for example). It's JUST about the speed - that out-of-focus background is very pleasant on that lens. Good luck!

honestly, i'd go with the sigma 30/1.4. it's the only one of the primes you mentioned with an internal motor, which helps AF in low-light conditions. i shot a concert last weekend with a d300 and the sigma handled available (stage) light @ 1.4, 3200 ISO, 1/125 very well, which isn't easy to do under those conditions.1.4 is usable for those times when you really need to shoot at 1.4, but f/2 is noticeably better and you can go to 2.2 before you hit 2.8. the edge sharpness isn't great at 1.4 but the good news is it tightens up by f/5.6-8, and at f/11 this lens is pretty good for landscapes.

we should just admit that the biggest issue people have with this lens is, it's not a nikon. the knock on sigma has always been build quality, not necessarily optical quality--especially with primes--but the 30 is rugged without being too heavy, if you know what i mean.

i'm sure there have been some front focus issues or bad copies, but in reality, the situation is not as prevalent as Internet posters would have you believe. i'd take the word of anyone who doesnt actually use/own this lens with a grain of salt, but i can say it's a staple of my low-light kit, i dont regret not having the nikon at all when i see the results; on a D300 it's practically unfair.

oh yeah, unlike the 35/2, the sigma has never had an issue with "sticky aperture blades,"<div>00PhDK-46831584.jpg.c4aab7eeacfbdb882b61e317a8b292c8.jpg</div>

This hasn't been said yet but if you keep your lenses a long time I'd go for the Nikon 35mm f2 (& I did, on my D200) as it has great glass from wide open, is small & light, isn't 'very' much slower than the Sigma 30/1.4, has had the oily leaves problem fixed and (this is the clincher for me) with the AF instead of the HSM has precious little to go wrong with motors or plastic gears on the barrel.

You probably wouldn't notice any difference between the lot of them in real world shooting.

Good hunting .... so long as it's not hunting for focus :-)

Clive

Hi Scott, I own and use Nikon 35mm f/2 with a D300 and I am very impressed with

sharpness and contrast at f/2. Really no issues. Beats the 17-35mm everytime

easily! I bought a sigma 24mm f/1.8 and it was defective with gross front focusing on

all my cameras. Not my user error! I was fairly sharp with a manual focus body, but

not as nice as the Nikon 35mm. Also it was huge. It went back to the store. Never

used the 30mm Sigma. It sound nice, but I would try to test this on in a store prior to

buying it, to make sure you get a nice one.

Still my vote is for Nikon.

Nikkors, noise reduction program, tripod. Learn to use the strap to steady the camera with tension. Much has been written here on how to hold it like a rifle sharpshooter and it does work.

Sigmas rank at the top for complaints about incorrect autofocus. If you were to look at Photozone test, Canon mount model , you would see the corners never get sharp, even at 11. They nicely repair the autoifocus when you send it in. But then again you don`t buy new merchandise to have to send it in for repair.

All third party lenses are poor mechanically compared Nikkors except for the Zeiss ZF line.

I have a D200 and use the older Nikkor 28mm f2 AIS for normal low light work. Its a gem but manual focus. I think the one stop difference of the Sigma 30mm can make a difference with ISO or shutter speed and is worth strong consideration but I have not used it and if its not sharp wide open then I would rather have the Nikkor 28mm.

I have the Sigma 28mm f1.8 and use it on a D80. It is a decent lens. I just don't see a 35mm f2 as giving much advantage over your f2.8. I did look at it, but just couldn't bring myself to buy & carry around a lens that only gives me about a stop more than f2.8. For what you are wanting, I think I'd at least try the 30mm f1.4. That lens has enough speed difference to make it worthwhile. I've been pleased with the 28mm f1.8 but will be selling it after buying the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8.

Kent in SD

I've got a Sigma 28/1.8 and is really happy with it. Great sharpness and it doesn't hunt that bad in low light. It's bigger than the 30/1.4 and 35/2 which gives more stability when shooting hand-held imo. Only downside I guess it that it doesn't have any HSM and is a bit slow on the focus, at least when going from 0.25m to infinity. If you're shooting between 1m and infinity it isn't really a big deal. 77mm filters are kinda expensive, but I guess you already got some.

I had, but sold, the 30mm when I upgraded to the D3. I used it on both a D200 and

D300, and it performed very well. It focused quickly (and accurately) on both

cameras, and had very good image qualities... center sharpness, color, contrast &

bokeh.

Sure the corners are soft at wide apertures, which works GREAT for people shots as

long as you keep them away from the edges of the frame. Same applies to portraits

of other centerpiece subjects... flowers, candy canes, etc.

For your museums or vacation (scenic) shooting, why not just keep using your

Tamron 17-50... with a tripod (or monopod) when you have to.

Always put in my two cents' worth on this one :)).

My attitude toward my Sigma 30 f1.4 is more complex than "love or hate." My copy was flawed (TERRIBLE front focus) and had to be sent to Sigma for correction. Even Sigma told me that this was a significant problem with this lens, at least at that time.

Once the lens was properly calibrated I was/am happy. It's a well-built lens (though people complain about peeling paint) and the optical performance is excellent. I also own the Nikon 35mm. f2. I actually prefer the Sigma in low-light situations. Again, people nitpick at f1.4. But come on; who is scrutinizing every detail at the extreme corners of the frame in every photo? The lens has provided some terrific low light shots wide open that I otherwise would not have been able to get (I suppose I could ramp up the ISO at f2, but that's a loss of a different type).

I am a fan of the Sigma 30mm. I also own the Nikkor 35mm f/2 in both AF-D and Ais versions and the 35mm f/1.4 in Ais. the Sigma more than holds its own with the others. Having said that, I'm selling my copy of the Sigma to help finance a canoe. Let me know if you're interested.

I also have both the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I love both lenses. The sigma is VERY sharp in the center at f/1.4 and is very usable at f/1.4. To me it wouldn't be worth it to purchase a lens in that range that didn't go to f/1.4. Two stops faster than my Tamron is definitely worth it, but only one stop difference would make me leave the Nikon 35mm f/2 at home.

"Sigmas rank at the top for complaints about incorrect autofocus. If you were to look at Photozone test, Canon mount model , you would see the corners never get sharp, even at 11. They nicely repair the autoifocus when you send it in. But then again you don`t buy new merchandise to have to send it in for repair."

@Ronald: have you ever used the 30mm sigma? or do you just look at test charts, which may not be reflective of real-world shooting? the corners do get sharper stopped down, and it's not like no nikkor has ever had to be sent in for repair. also, i'd expect a Zeiss to be sharper than either a nikkor or sigma prime. it had better be for that price. i would personally rather have speedy AF for low-light, PJ, street, and candids than manual-focus, but to each his own.

must you continually bemoan a lens you have never used that works for some people's shooting styles? why not just accept the fact that not everyone is like you?

seriously, we go through this every week, and every week you say the same thing you said last week. why not at least get some experience shooting with the sigma if you're going to comment on it with such regularity?

anyway, here's a landscape shot taken at f/8 or f/11 with the 30mm and a d80 which looks pretty good to me, especially considering it was handheld.<div>00PhYi-46895584.jpg.b9e0ce9a23527418944a17f08ef2f3fd.jpg</div>

I love my Sigma 30mm f/1.4! I'm a newbie, and I use this lens for everything. But my absolute favorite thing about it is the great photos I get indoors with very little light.

Don't know how much my opinion is worth, since this is the only lens I own, but you can check my portfolio to see some shots with this lens.

http://www.photo.net/photos/MaijaAthena

Note, the shots of the dogs with the black background was taken in a very dark place in my house, using what little natural light was available.

"I also have both the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I love both lenses. The sigma is VERY sharp in the center at f/1.4 and is very usable at f/1.4. To me it wouldn't be worth it to purchase a lens in that range that didn't go to f/1.4. Two stops faster than my Tamron is definitely worth it, but only one stop difference would make me leave the Nikon 35mm f/2 at home."

Well said Justin.

I favor the Sigma 30mm also. I do love the 35mm F2 for it's very small size, but like you said the one stop difference just doesn't make it in my bag too often. The close focus is nice.

As for the build quality of third party lenses, they are not built like the Nikkors but are priced and weighted accordingly.

Of the thirty or so lenses I've owned, I own four third party lenses now, I don't have any reservations on how long they might last or if their mechanics will fail.

Nikkors have their place and so do the others.

I purchased a Sigma 28mm 1.8 lens to use on my D70. I had persistent problems with back focus with this lens. -- I've used a bunch of Nikon & Sigma lenses on this body and only had the problem with the 28mm 1.8. This was an older model lens so I attribute the problems to this. I found the lens to be pretty good wide open.

I sold it and got a NIKON 28MM 2.8 autofocus lens. I know, I know, it's not 1.4 or 1.8 or even 2.0, but I've found it to be great for available light work. The smaller size and lighter weight (as opposed to zooms) really make a difference.

Compared to the other choices you listed this lens would be quite affordable used. It's not one of the "sexy" lens everyone raves about in forums.

Just since it's a slightly different type of subject for this lens... while reading this thread, I grabbed my multi-tool from the camera pack, and stuck it on the chair next to me. Sigma 30/1.4, wide open. Sure, you'd reach for a macro lens for this sort of thing if you were fussy, but it's not too shabby for off-the-cuff low-light shots on things like plates of food. Or, multi-tools.<div>00Phfu-46917584.jpg.0da7fc880b890d10119a8a26b9df423a.jpg</div>