Sigma 19/2.8 vs Olympus 14-42 Mk. I kit lens ??

soeren_engelbrecht1

<p>Hello all,<br /><br />For a couple of years now, I have been thinking about unloading my extensive DSLR kit due to weight and size issues. Since I find myself more and more into working with compact (film) rangefinders and SLRS, I consider a mirrorless system a very likely replacement. Camera/sensor IQ doesn't worry me :-)<br /><br />Recently, I've had some good fortune - three weeks ago, I bought an E-PL1 kit for the equivalent of 125 USD plus tax on close-out at a supermarket. And this week, I won third prize in the "Wide angle" category in a Sigma photo competition, netting me a gift certificate of 175 USD to use on Sigma gear.<br /><br />I would have preferred one of the 14/17/20 pancakes, but since it has to be a Sigma, it must be the 19, since I'm a wide angle kind-of-guy and I really like the natural perspective of 35/40/45 mm lenses.<br /><br />And now for the questions: How does the 19 compare to the Mark I kit lens that came with my camera ??<br /><br />- Image quality wide open (I don't expect much of a difference in IQ, but I do gain one stop, of course)<br /><br />- Focusing speed (The Mk I kit lens really isn't that fast - I'm on Camera FW 1.1 and Lens FW 1.0)<br /><br />- Start-up speed (I hear rumours that the Sigma lens delays camera start-up by as much as four seconds)<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help and advice !!<br /><br />Soeren<br /><br /></p><div>00b0nC-503369584.jpg.8497fa8196aba1adf17b81635161ac9b.jpg</div>

<p>Congratulations on your win! It's a better (IQ), faster lens. The AF is much faster and quieter than the Panasonic 20/1.7. Unlike DSLR's, the Olympus will give IS allowing lower shutter speeds, so the the f2.8 is less of a problem.</p>

<p>http://www.lenstip.com/338.1-Lens_review-Sigma_19_mm_f_2.8_EX_DN_.html</p>

<p>http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1484/cat/30</p>

• 4 weeks later...