sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC macro SLD SML autofocus lens

kalis

I wanted better everyday lenses for my Canon EOS 20D camera.

So I ordered 17-55mm/2.8 canon lenses from

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=587245&start=1

But I got a call from salesman this morning (about shipping address) and he

asked me what camera I have and then explained that on practice I can't get

f2.8 on this lens with digital camera and pushed me to change on Sigma 18-55mm

f/2.8 EX DC macro SLD SML lens

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=217444&start=1

On there website price $1,499 but he sold me for about same price, as canon lens

$729.

When I went on Amazon I found (what I think the same lens) for $344

http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-LENS-18-50mm-Digital-Camera/dp/B0008JF0DA/ref=sr_1_1/103-7180675-6591815?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1175530207&sr=1-1

I called back to him and he told me that it is NOT the same lens. In lens what

he sold me is build-in digital conversion chip and they just got it from Japan.

I have me doubt about it....

Can you please advise!

Run away from them. He lied to you when he gave you the BS about 'not being able to get

f/2.8 on the digital' and he is trying to gouge you. Amazon sells the same lens as you saw

for 1/2 the price.

If you have already given them your credit card number call your credit company and have

them reverse the charge.

Maybe in the future you should look at http://www.resellerratings.com/store/

Express_Cameras to see all the horror stories. Also, never EVER buy ANYTHING from the

place that advertises the lowest price. You're always going to get screwed.

Don't deal with Express Cameras. From what I can tell their reputation is horrible:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

It is difficult to read your post, but it looks like they are trying to rip you off. Try to cancel it if you can.

The new Sigma 18-50 DC Macro lens is offered by B&H and Adorama (very reputable shops) for $419. The older, non-Macro 18-50 is offered through Amazon (via Adorama) for $382.95. The only problem with B&H and Adorama over the next couple of weeks are that they are both generally closed for the Jewish holidays so you will have to wait. Amazon itself does not have either version of the lens in stock.

KEH.com has a used non-Macro version in stock if you want to save some $. I have bought a lot of used and new equipment from them with good results.

Built-in digital conversion chip? Holy **** that's funny. Kinda. And sad, as I bet someone out there's falling for it (these people are still in business, after all...) Do your homework before you order anything online. Even without consulting resellerratings directly, I'm guessing a quick google search would expose these ***holes...

yep:

http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?channel=us&hl=en&ibd=&q=expresscameras

I'll sell you a used Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 for $280. It's a pretty decent lens, but not at all in the same league as the Canon 17-55. Typically, the Sigma will have some autofocusing issues. With mine. I have to focus twice to make sure it will get it right. Otherwise, I can't trust it. The new version isn't any better. However, Tamron's 17-50 f/2.8 is said to be much better, although still not completely reliable in all cases.

BTW, if you can get the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS for less than $1000, you're doing very well. $729 is not a reasonable price from a reputable dealer, and should be ignored. But it's far too much for a Sigma 18-50. That's just nuts. The guy's a liar.

The salesman's story is complete BS from start to finish. Do whatever you can to get your money back. These guys are well known scammers playing on peoples' ingorance to sell goods for twice what they should cost. The $729 price for the Canon 17-55 f2.8 was just the bait to get you in. The would never sell you this lens for that price.

• 1 month later...
Beware, I just attempted to purchse a Cannon lense on www.1Way Photo.com. I had completed the entire transaction through www.DiduPrice.com and sent it off when I received a call from 1Way Photo. The gentlemen, Scott, said that he wanted to offer me a better offer and continued with the same scam that you received. He told me that I would be so happy and that he is a photographer himself and that he uses this sigma lense and I would just love him for selling me this lense for $750 instead of the usual $1499 and he would even throw in the lense hood to sweeten the deal. I told him to just forget my entire order and cancel EVERYTHING I was ordering! I will not do business with such a scam artist! I also got in touch with www.DiduPrice.com and let them know to change their 5 star rating for this company that is a scam company! Please beware and report this scammers! --Belinda

• 3 months later...
I just experienced the same exact scenario as Elena. I mean to the "t". I called and cancelled my order. If it wasn't for this forum I would have been up poop creek too! He told me that the Canon lens I wanted would not work with my digital rebel. I said that I would just upgrade my body then and he said it still wouldn't give me the same quality that this "chip" thingy would give. He told me this new lens came out 2 weeks ago. Yet, I still can't find any reviews on this "new" lens.

• 9 months later...

A year later and I am adding that I went through the exact scenario this morning, and like cherie said.....to the "T". I just cancelled my order minutes after I placed it and got off the phone with www.lensesnmore.com because as they were processing my order, because of the guy's accent and he deals he was trying to pull, I saw the same thing, went on Amazon, saw the same lens for $400 and he's telling me that it's not the same lens,mentioning Japan as well. So yes, a quick google and I found this string, so thank you very much for starting it, or I would be hurtin'! They mentioned a cancellation fee of 15%, did anyone else get this same thing and did you get charged? Also, were you abe to get your credit card reimbursed?

Again, great blog, it was a "life" (not to that extent, but still) saver.

• 6 months later...

I was just on the phone with Sonic Cameras trying to order the canon 17-55mm lens and I go the exact same

scenario as mentioned by all the people above, also down to the "T". While I had the sales person on the phone I

did a quick search for the sigma lens and found this forum. It totally saved my me. I quickly told him to cancel my

entire order. I can't believe that after a year and a half from the first post, there are still companies out there trying to

use the same scam. Lesson for the day: It is worth the cost to buy a lens from a reputable dealer.