Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art

derek_thornton1

Has anyone here ever used the Sigma 18-35mm ART on the Nikon D3400? I know that the lens should work with it, I just wonder how well it works with it. My son shoots a lot of concerts and on paper this lens should be superb lens for low light concerts. So, if anyone has ever used this combo please tell me what you think of it.

Thank You,

Derek

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

It is a truly AWESOME lens..

It doesn't have VR, but if anything moves in the scene it won't help anyway. It's more than sharp enough wide open.

Focus has been fine for me on a D90, D3200, D5300, D7200 and D500.

If you have the light, f4 is crazy sharp and can tolerate a lot of cropping..... to the point where you wouldn't need a nifty fifty.

The only potential downside is a limited zoom range, barely x2.

All Sigma Art lenses are big and heavy, with a lot of metal on the barrel. When you put that on a D3400, you will be using a heavy lens and a mostly plastic, light-weight body. It is a bit of a weird combination.

In Derek's son indeed shoots a lot of concerts, I wonder whether it is possible to upgrade to an FX body with better AF. E.g. a D750 would be a good choice.

• Like 1

He is hoping to get this lens for Birthday/Christmas. Possibly upgrade camera body to a D7200/D7400 for graduation, if his aunts/uncles and everyone else treats him well. It took me years before I went FX, he will have to do that on his own. Regardless, we know it is a heavy lens. I just want to make sure it focuses well with the D3400. It will be a refurbished lens.
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, I've always heard people express concern about the size of the 18-35. I guess it's down to what you're used to (I usually shoot FX), but when I've seen them, there not that big (compared with, say, a 24-70 f/2.8). A little front heavy on a D3x00 sure, but you'll have a second hand on the lens to zoom anyway, presumably.

YMMV, and it's a concern if you're used to just an 18-55, but I wouldn't necessarily be too scared.

I'm guessing as it's the specific lens being asked about, the range isn't an issue.

However, I'd think an 80mm 1.8 AFS would go nicely with it for more reach.

Or, and I'm hoping someone's been to weights training, the immense 50-100mm 1.8. It is weighty and will be nose heavy but has a lot of forward real estate to hold comfortably.

However, I'd think an 80mm 1.8 AFS would go nicely with it for more reach.

Just you avoid confusion, Mike means 85mm. If you're willing to spend quite a bit more, the 85mm Sigma Art would be even better, and weighs similarly to the 18:35 (which is a lot for an 85mm prime).

Or, and I'm hoping someone's been to weights training, the immense 50-100mm 1.8.

Again, big for a DX zoom, but only about the same weight as a 70-200 f/2.8, which would be the traditional solution if you need a bit more reach (unless you have enough light to live with one of the new 70-300 VR lenses). It's certainly in "pro glass" territory for bulk (and price), though.

My experience is that these lenses only feel big until you've tried something like a 200-500, a 120-300, or one of the big telephotos. If you can hire one for a couple of days then everything else feels light!

• Like 1

My experience is that these lenses only feel big until you've tried something like a 200-500, a 120-300, or one of the big telephotos.

What Andrew said. Going back to the original lens and body, the Sigma 18-35mm weighs about twice as much as a D3400, a similar proportion to, for example, a 70-200mm f/2.8 on, say, a D7200. Of course, the 18-35 is much shorter than the 70-200mm, so its center of mass is much closer to the lens mount, which makes for less strain on the mount.

I appreciate all of the responses folks. The only question that my son and I have is how well the Sigma 18-35mm Art works with the D3400. I have read numerous times that third party lenses have issues focusing on Nikon bodies.

The concerts he shoots are small local bands.and he is always at the front of the stage. I think the biggest band he has ever shot was a group called "Atilla" and "The Plot in You". Bands that not many folks over the age of 25 have ever heard of. He is so close that he has to wipe sweat from the front element several times a show. He uses the 18-55mm kit lens, which has produced some great shots at a max. f/3.5. The problem is, he does not like using the flash. He feels it is disrespectful. The Sigma lens seems perfect for this, giving him a couple more stops. He is 17 years old, we are not going to break the bank for his hobby. We spoil him with love, not material things. This will be a combined parents/grand parents gift. Also, he is a bit on the skinny side but strong none the less. I put my Nikon 16-35mm f/4 on his body just to give him an idea of what it will feel like. He had no issue with that. In fact he liked it.

So the only question is how well the D3400 and Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 mate up? We really appreciate any help you all can give us.

• Like 1

Shun, that is the lens I recommended him. We did look at focal lengths of many of his favorite photos and they ranged from 20-30mm. His sweet spot is 24mm.

Not considering the weight, it sounds like the Sigma 18-35mm/f1.8 DX lens is a great fit for him. I am not too concerned about compatibility, as you can always upgrade the firmware inside the Sigma lens. I assume the 18-35mm DX Art lens is compatible with the Sigma dock.

The limitation in this set up will be the camera body. I hope he can upgrade to a D7200 or D7500 with better AF. Unfortunately, every upgrade will cost money.