Sigma 14mm f2.8, a good choice over the zoom?

cc_chang2

<p>I saw an used Sigma 14/2.8 on sale locally for about $500. On my D90, this will give me a FOV of 20mm. I like the fact that it is a f2.8 lens and people have commented on the nice bokeh that this lens produces, a feature that the typical 12-24 slow zoom lenes cannot offer. I would like to have a WA fast prime, although the weight of this things puts me off a bit. Furthermore, for about the same money, I can buy a Tokina 11-16/2.8 lens, which is about as big and as heavy. What are your thoughts on these fast WA lenses? Do you think someday a fast WA prime will be available for the APS-C camera that are smaller/lighter than those that can be used on FF cameras? Thanks.</p>

<p>Short answer: no! I have this lens and it's everything but a great performer.<br>

For a DX-camera I would choose the Tokina 11-16/2.8.<br>

The only fast and wide prime for APS-C-cameras is the Pentax 14/2.8 - at least to my knowledge.<br>

Hope this helps and happy WA-shooting, georg.</p>

<p>It's huge and heavy and can take no filters. The 11-16 is, as mentioned above, a WAY better choice for only a little more. And the Sigma 14 is klunkier to use for sure on smaller bodies. It would be a fantastic choice at that price for FX, but not, I think, for DX.</p>

<p>Thank you all for responding. I have the Tokina 12-24 and love it. The Pentax 14mm lens is slightly lighter and smaller than the Sigma or the Tokina 11-16. Maybe this is as small as a fast 14mm lens can go for the APS-C camera. Oh well, I will pass this one up and think/wait more ...</p>

<p>I have the Tokina 12-24 mm and love it. It's slower, but it's really not much of a biggie, because it's an UW lens. I forwent the 11-16 mm, because the zoom range is much more restrictive. If you're fine with that (and telling us you are considering a prime indicates that you may be), then you basically get the sharpest UW zoom for crop cameras on the market (including the originals from Nikon and Canon!). </p>