Sigma 100-500mm F/5.6-8

cyrus_procter

<p>So on my local C-list there is a Sigma 100-500mm F/5.6-F/8. I tried googling it and got zero results (I got results of course but zero that matched 100-500mm), so I figured the guy was off his rocker. I figured he was selling a 50-500 or a 150-500mm. So he sent me some pictures, sure enough its a genuine 100-500mm F/5.6-8 Sigma manual focus lens.</p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of this lens. Not that I'm terribly interested in purchasing, the gentleman wants $500, and if I'm going to spend that much on a beat up old manual focus lens, I'll just spring for a 150-500mm HSM OS lens instead. And truthfully, I'm saving up for a 300mm F/2.8 AF-S II, that with teleconverters would be my super telephoto lens of choice. I do find it fascinating when a Google search brings back zero results. I wanted to see if anyone else out there had heard of it :).</p>

<p>Back in the day, lens makers used to rebrand lenses. This might be the same lens as the Promaster and the Quantaray, if you can find any info on those. Chances are that one of the versions may also be rebranded as a Vivitar as well, although my Vivitar 100-500mm is made by Cosina. Overall, zoom lenses from that era, especially from the third party lensmakers, aren't anything to write home about. $500 is a joke; it probably didn't cost that much new, and it isn't worth anything close to that now. $160-$200 is a more realistic price, maybe up to $250 if you REALLY want it, but even at $160 it's only worth that much because the F mount is still alive. At over $400, get the newer lens, like the 150-500mm for $1,000 or the "bigma" 50-500, both which likely have better performance, autofocus, etc. If you asked me, I'd get the 150-500mm for its improved optics. I don't think I've ever needed to be able to reach both sub-100mm and 500mm at the same time, haha. Try emailing him, offering him a fair price to both of you, and when he turns you down, go along on your merry way.</p>

<p>I having iissues with a getting my 70-200 f2.8 fiixed with Sigma USA..<br>

What morons..<br>

All kinds of paperwork issues and online CC stuff and not they ovver changed me a few bucks of what the bill is...<br>

The head of Sigma USA if that is who I really spoke too is a arrogant jerk..<br />Just like another member here told me..</p>