Sigma 10-20

daniel_horande

I also have it, am perfectly satisfied with the first one I received, and use it far more often than I thought I would (and on <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?topic_id=1481&msg_id=00NcTo&photo_id=6727592&photo_sel_index=0"><b>subjects that I wouldn't have guessed I would</b></a>). I understand that the early sample variation issue that came up when it was very first shipped are a thing of the past. You will really enjoy the ability to go to 10mm, believe me.

Daniel,

Not only Sigma, but every other lens manufacturer works within what they consider to be "allowable" tolerances. In other words, not every lens that leaves the factory is identical.

In an ideal world, every lens would be inspected and adjusted to zero tolerance. However, we don't live in an ideal world and such inspections and adjustments would add appreciably to the cost of the lens.

What often happens is that an error of (for example) +.001mm on one element is cancelled out by an error of -.001mm on another. Where the problems arise is when several elements are all +.001 or -.001.

Couple an "out of tolerance" lens with a body having its sensor out of tolerance and the errors really start to compound. This stuff can drive you crazy if you let it.

I've had lenses from Nikon, Leica and Tokina that were as sharp as I've I've seen. I've also had to return lenses from each of these manufacturers that were not up to my expectations.

While I don't own a Sigma 10-20, it's not because of worrying about getting a bad example. Just be sure to purchase from a source that will allow you to return a bad example if you lose the "lottery".