SigGozilla ???

500mm/f2.8 means a 178mm front element (500mm divided by 2.8) while a 200mm/f2.8 has a 71mm front element.

Forget about price and optical quality, any 500mm/f2.8 is just not very practical unless it is stationally mounted in some building or perhaps some truck.

I think that many wildlife shooters would welcome a good zoom with this type of range (especially if it had better IQ than their 50-500mm) but at f/2.8 its virtually usuable from a mobility standpoint. Th lens must be aimed at those who sit on the sidelines at sporting events, shooting sometimes with poor lighting.

"unless it is stationally mounted in some building or perhaps some truck."

Shun, Are you saying this thing needs its own observatory dome? :) or perhaps launch it in space to replace the Hubble.

I am copyrighting the term 'robo-pod' for the device needed to move it around in the field.

Since a substantial portion of the successful images of pro football are taken with Canon 400 F2.8 lenses, I would think a 200-500 F2.8 would be fantastic. With the fixed focal length lens, you're stuck at 400. With the 200-500 Sigzilla, you can capture images over a larger area of the field. BTW my 300-800 Sigmonster is incredibly sharp at all focal lengths due to the use of ultra low dispersion glass.

Nikon's 200-400mm/f4 AF-S VR is an excellent lens, even at f4. It is also a bit cheaper and smaller than the 500mm/f4 AF-S.

Sigma has not yet set the price for this 200-500mm/f2.8. I am not sure about its quality at f2.8; in case you need to stop down a bit, it would totally defeat the whole purpose for f2.8. Regardless, weight and size, and most likely price, are the main problems.

In sports photography, the photographer needs to be nimble and have quick reactions. Handling such a huge lens is going to be a problem. I wonder how many of them Sigma will be able to sell.

Thank you, Shun. Probably, this Sigma's optical monster is in a way a demonstration of the company's Hi-Tec skills, sort of a statement: " We CAN do this, and even better", like Nikon's legendary 300 2IF-ED, and, presumably, may not stay for long in production.