Shutterspeed

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by anamedina, Nov 9, 2020.

1. If the original poster is reading this, I suggest that she get a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

In it, he explains the exposure triangle; shutter speed, aperture and film speed (sensitivity). He shows how, in theory, there are an infinite number of exposure combinations that will result in a "correct" exposure.

But he also discusses the idea of artistic expression; what you intend to accomplish with your exposure. He then talks about how to choose which of the many "correct" exposures will create that effect. This includes using slow shutter speeds to show subject motion, as well as using different aperture settings to create various depth-of-field choices.

In the digital age, we are lucky. Back in the film era, if I wanted to use a high shutter speed, such as 1/1000 second to freeze motion, along with a tiny aperture, such as f/16 to give me great depth of field, I might not be able to do because I was stuck with the film that was in the camera. I would have to make a choice between freezing motion or depth of field. Today, with my dslr, I can simply crank up the ISO setting to enable me to use that combination.

BTW, extremely long exposures, several minutes in length, can effectively make people disappear. I have a welders mask lens epoxied to a Cokin filter holder. This lets me use exposures as long as five minutes at f/16 on a sunny day, with the camera mounted on a tripod. Any people in the picture, who are moving, will usually not sit still long enough to appear in the image, while the buildings and landscape will.