Shutter Won't Operate on my Mamiya 7 II

craig_carry

Hello,

I am new to photo.net and have recently bought a mamiya 7 ii camera and 80mm lens in used condition (3 rolls of

film were passed through it by its original owner).

The camera also came with rolls of 220 film. I didn't realise that there was already a roll of 220 film in the film

chamber and since I opened the back of the camera I haven't been able to wind the film advance lever (the exposure

counter window reads 'S' all the time).

At the moment I cannot wind the lever to cock the shutter (there is no pressure at all) so I cannot press the shutter

to wind on the film at all. (The light shield curtain is in the OPEN position).

The red warning lamp in the corner of the viewfinder flashes when I press the shutter signalling that it is impossible to

press the shutter button.

Should I attempt to remove the film (even though the film has not wound on)?

Perhaps the battery needs replacement?

I am hoping there is a straighforward solution;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig.

On my Mamiya 6 there is a very small round opening on the side of the upper handle, within which there is a button. You

can push this in using the point of a pencil or ball point, and it apparently restarts the shutter tensioning (or some such

winding function). You only lose one frame.

Try that if the Mamiya 7 has the same device. It may work. Or maybe change batteries (you may still have to press the small button after

that).

Is the dark slide open? That is the first area to trip up. After that, is the multiple exposure lever pushed towards the right?

That will also disengage the winder. If the red light is lit up, you should have batteries (unless it is blinking quickly). In any

case, I have never opened it up mid-roll, so I am not sure exactly what happens, but you would probably be best served to

take out the roll in a dark room or changing bag. You have already ruined a few frames, it was not your film in the first

place, so it is probably best to just take it out and start anew.

If you opened the back with film in it, the frame counter will have returned to S. As the light shield curtain is open, that is

not the problem. Have you tried removing the film (accidentaly exposed in any case), rewinding it and feeding it back into

the camera as if you were loading a new film?

Thanks to everyone for your posts, very much appreciated.

I'm afraid that the problem looks to be a fault in the camera as I have since taken out the roll of film in the film chamber and the problem with the shutter remains.

Now, even with the light shield curtain open, multi exposure lever ON (to practise with no film in the camera) a red light blinks when I press the shutter and I can't cock the shutter; the film advance lever has no pressure at all.

Maybe I should try another roll of film.

I have contacted Mamiya UK customer services and the response I've had was that it sounds like a fault in the camera. So I'll try to get back to Mamiya again in order to see what I need to get repaired...

Thanks again for your posts,

Craig.

The Mamiya 7 fires without film with the back open and you can cock it by a single stroke on the winding lever. Don't worry about the fact that there will be no resistance on winding or that you can continue to make further strokes- these are normal. If you can't get it fire like this and the normal "inhibitors" are eliminated (camera switched to on, shutter curtain open) then you do indeed have a camera or lens problem.

At what point do you make the seller aware that you now know that he has sold you a non working camera and expect a refund or a commitment to pay for the repair. I guess it must be dawning on you why he only put three rolls through it. This camera is rarely cheap to repair, especially via the UK importer/service agent. Is sounds kind of unfair for you to be carrying this cost and hassle.

Hi Craig

Let me see if I can get this first time. Probably easiest if you mount your M7 on a tripod.

Turn the M 7 off.

Open back, remove the film. The curtain should be open ie you can see the back of the lens. If not, turn the camera over and find the curtain opener on the bottom.

Once the curtain is open, set shutter time to "B"

Now set the "Multi" option to Multi ( back top right (and slides to the left I think I don't have my M7 handy, you have to press the little silver button as you push the slide across)).

One of two things will happen when you turn on, it will fire the shutter so the shutter was cocked which is what I suspect or nothing will happen but you should be able to cock the shutter and fire it.

As I understand it the camera goes into a safe mode when the "S" is displayed in the film number window. The combination of B and Multi should over ride this if the battery is good.

Best Regards Rob.

It sounds like a similar problem I had when I owned the M7ii system. The lever suddenly loses tension and it is impossible to wind the film on, rendering the camera useless. Quite a common problem and one of the reasons I got rid of the camera and full set of lenses. Unfortunately the M7ii is a great camera that is prone to breaking down. Ownership means acceptance of occasional problems. For me, it wasn't worth the trouble.

• 3 months later...

<p>Subject and Problem: MAMIYA 6 shutter release and film winder.<br>

Hi - I need to digest the posts above but I'm trying to decide if I have a camera that is in need of repair.<br>

My MAMIYA 6 seems to have a mind of its own when and if it decides to let me wind the film for the next shot. The problem occurs after I depress the the shutter release. After pushing the shutter release button it makes me wait an undefinable amount of time until it will let me wind the film to the next frame. It like locks the winding leaver. It seems to be on some random self timer beacuase I here the click and then ( x = the amount of time ) I hear another sound that is not the soft click but a noise at best and then I can wind for the next frame. Some times it takes hours! Sometimes I don't here the second click. The dark slide is open, the self timer switch is not on, lens extended, film in camera, batteries new. Anyone with any ideas. I'm going crazy. Thanks in advance. -Todd</p>

<p>I Found it below ! <br>

... anyone had one fixed recently. Where ? Will Mamiya even look at the 6 ? <br>

Todd</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=412357">"John Stockdale</a> , Jun 01, 2004; 08:50 p.m.<br>

<p >I have a very nice Mamiya 6 that I bought from a photo.net ad, and it's working perfectly. To keep it nice, I bought a second, well used body for rough travelling. This body has started to exhibit a fault. After an exposure, I can't wind the film to the next frame until I hear a fairly obvious click. At first I thought it was the shutter staying open for a far longer time than it should, but that is not the case. The time delay for this click to occur can be up to half a minute, and can be accelerated by thumping the camera (not hard of course) or releasing the lens mount towards the retracted position. The problem occurs with several lenses.</p>

<p >Is this the dreaded unrepairable winder failure beginning to develop? Or is it likely to be something else that could be fixed?</p>

<h2 >Answers</h2>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=498781">Martin Jangowski</a> <a href="../member-status-icons"></a>, Jun 01, 2004; 11:52 p.m.</p>

<p >This can be fixed. There is an small magnet switch inside that frees the advance lever after exposure. This part tends to freeze after several years of useage. You can press the recessed release button on the right side of the camera to speed this up.</p>

<p >I sent my camera body to Mamiya Germany to repair this, and they did... for a price.</p>

<p >Martin</p>

</p>