Shutter speed of an Agfa Box 44 a.k.a. Preisbox

bueh

I am going to expose a roll of slide film in an Agfa Box 44 (or

"Preisbox") box camera. With all those box camera related questions

lately, I hope someone can help me determine the exact shutter speed

of this old camera. Is it 1/15 or 1/25 or 1/30 or 1/50 or 1/60 second?

Unfortunately, while the internets agree that the lens is f/11, I

can't find any information what speed the shutter is designed for.

And, does anyone know what the best distance to subject for the

sharpest depth-of-field is?

Gene, with all due respect, with slide film even being 1/3 stop off is noticeable. One stop overexpose results in washed-out colors and blown highlights. If the set speed is 1/15 or 1/20, this means nearly two stops overexposure which won't look that hot on slide film.

<p>

And I simply cannot believe that the specs of such a common camera aren't published anywhere. I had the same situation when I asked about my <b><a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DSVw">Certo-Phot</a></b>.

I see. Well, your camera was made (1932-1936) during the era of "slow" films. Is there a "Use Agfa film" sticker inside your 44 ? If so you can figure the shutter speed by the film type suggested. The original shutter speed was likely 1/50. Use something with an ASA of around 80 and you'll be in the ballpark.

Most snapshots of the 30's were done on whatever b&w film was available at the drug store. try the slowest slide film you can find and, if possible, have the lab clip test it. Then follow their advice about pushing or pulling. Or shoot a roll of 50 and then 100 speed film, process both normally and choose the film that works best. I recently did this kind of test with Pan F and APX100 in a 1930 Nettar 515 with a Derval shutter that gave only one unknown speed. The APX100 was a little dense, but was easier to print than the Pan F. Next time I use that camera I will choose APX100 for daylight.<div>00FPgA-28435184.jpg.8f832ea5602d61a974fe6b8bcdb9d34e.jpg</div>

Hi, Guys Bueh's post about the actual "I" shutter speed on his AGFA Box 44 raises an interesting point about old box cameras in general. I've got several, from Box Tengors to Brownies with a few Fulvues and others in between. Invariably they have the same sort of self-cocking shutter, which is nominally rated around 1/50th sec. I'm no engineering theorist, but I'd suspect that the effects of age on lubricants and springs, together with the temperature on the given day of use, could mean an actual speed of anything from 1/10 sec to maybe 1/80 sec. Given also the limited or non-existent choice of aperture, it doesn't leave much room for compensation for the increasing speed of film today. Just consider - the "newest" box cameras such as the AGFA Synchro Box or Box Tengor 56/2 are around 50 years old now, and how slow were films then? When you go back to cameras made in the 20s and 30s, this film speed differential aspect increases. Some compensation can be made in the darkroom, but I'd suggest bright light situations should be totally avoided or you'll overexpose. There's no provision for using a density filter on such basic items, of course, unless you jury-rig something over the lens. So, use the slowest film you can get and shoot either early or late. I certainly wouldn't be using colour slide film because of its lack of flexibility; colour negative - maybe; monochrome - the best. After all, that's what these old beasts were designed for, right? ~~PN~~