shutter release timer

j. esford

I'm interested in filming star trail/meteor showers and setting my exposure late in the evening but having the

exposure end 6 hours later (unattended). Does anyone have experience with a threaded 6-8 hour timer used mainly

on film camera shutter buttons that would accomplish this? Thank you in advance for any help.

For the old mechanical shutter releases I think you are out of luck. I looked through the BH web site and found nothing. The only suggestion I have would be to hook up your camera to an external battery and place a timer (such as a lamp timer from a hardware store) between the battery and camera. The timer would shut off power to the cameras after 6 hours. Naturally this would not work if you have an all mechanical shutter that doesn't need power.

The only thing I know of that comes close to what you want is the Canon TC-80N3. But it is an electronic cable release and has a canon specific connector. People have changed the electrical connector so that it will work with other cameras, but I know of no way to connect it to a mechanical cable release socket.