Shutter lifespan D80 vs D200

alan_markowitz1

My recollection is that the D80 is widely guestimated to go up to about 50,000 actuations, and the D200 about 100,000 actuations. Figuring a likely maximum lifespan (due to a yearning to upgrade to better equipment) of five years, this translates to 10,000 shutter actuations/year for the D80 and double that for the D200, which sounds about right for their respective markets. Unlike in the good old / bad old film days, there really do seem to be good reasons to upgrade digital bodies every few years. My old Canon Powershot G1 still works just fine, but I'd rather be using my D80.

Even MTF numbers when available are only estimates when applied to an individual item.

There have been numerous reports of D70 cameras getting 100K actuations, but the shutter is a hybrid mechanical and electronic hybrid which exerts less mechanical force as its maximum curtain speed is (IIRC) 1/90. The maximum shutter speed on a D80 is 1/4000 and I'm sure speeds of 1/500 to 1/1000 are fairly common. How any of this relates to a comparison with the D200 which also does not have its shutter life's MTF numbers published or the D300 which is rated to 150K MTF is hard to say -- but I bet you can expect to get around 100K actuations from a D80 and the shutter can be replaced for around $300 if it wears out and you still want to keep the camera.

I doubt that the D80 has as strong a shutter as the D200.

This is all pretty academic. Unless you really abuse your DSLR and take a lot of random images, which I certainly have seen people do, by the time you reach the expected life for a shutter, the chance is that your camera is due for an upgrade anyway. Or unless your DSLR's shutter "dies young," this shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Hi Frank,

It is not the first time I have been wrong, and will no doubt not be the last either. While that is not an MTTF figure but rather a marketing claim, the same can be said for what Nikon has said about the D2x (150K), D300 (150K), and D3 (300K). The links are at:

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d200/pdf/D200_24p.pdf (page 5)

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d2xs/pdf/D2xs_16p.pdf (page 3)

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/pdf/d300_28p.pdf (page 10)

http://chsv.nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/pdf/d3_40p.pdf (page 14)

No similar claims are made for the D80.

Hi hope this is the right thread to address this. I bought my Nikon coolpixP5000 last May in Switzerland from an electronics store, it was about 750 Francs about the same in US dollars. Im happy with it and it takes good shots although rather noisy indoors.Yesterday while I was shooting it froze (jammed) and won't respond or switch on or off so the lens won't retract.

I have to take it back to where i bought it this weekend, but need to know from other Nikonites their experience with this kind of thing if any.. I presume its still under gaurentee being seven months old. Should I ask for replacement or will I have to wait for it to be sent away to Zurich. I presume I cant take it to be fixed in a nikon dealer camera shop. Any advice would be appreciated.D<div>00ODJD-41379684.thumb.jpg.cbfbc3edefd4eab8ca19354ca7128c15.jpg</div>

In case anyone is interested heres the press release for the camera i have just asked about that jammed.D NEW COOLPIX P-SERIES CAMERA ALLOWS PHOTOGRAPHERS TO UNLEASH THEIR CREATIVITY

Nikon is pleased to introduce the COOLPIX P5000 to the Nikon COOLPIX Performance Series of digital cameras. The new COOLPIX P5000 offers advanced functions, ease of operation, and high image quality that is sure to satisfy photo and camera enthusiasts. The P5000 boasts 10-effective megapixels, a 3.5x Zoom-Nikkor glass lens, an optical viewfinder, and an incredible, bright 2.5-inch LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating. The P5000 also incorporates a new advanced image-processing engine, which optimizes low light performance and color reproduction, and Nikon's Optical VR Image Stabilization, which compensates for camera shake to create sharper images.

COOLPIX P5000 users can take advantage of the new mode dial which provides quick access to a selection of 16 different scene-optimized modes, seven movie modes, Anti-Shake mode and High Sensitivity mode. A turn of the mode dial to Anti-Shake mode activates High ISO and Best Shot Selector (BSS) in addition to VR Image Stabilization, which automatically sets the optimal ISO for steady results, and will allow users to select and save the best image from up to ten sequential shots. In addition, the mode dial has the choice of Programmed Auto [P], Shutter-priority Auto , Aperture-priority Auto [A], and Manual [M] exposure modes for even greater camera control.

The COOLPIX P5000 is compatible with add-on system components to extend the users creative possibilities, including the Wide-angle lens Converter (WC-E67) and the Telephoto lens Converter (TC-E3ED). A built-in accessory shoe supports the use of Nikon's advanced i-TTL flash control for external flashes, including the SB-400, SB-600, and SB-800 Speedlights.

The COOLPIX P5000 will be available nationwide beginning March 2007 with an MSRP of $399.95.