Shutter lag is milliseconds of Leica CM

g-man1

I'd like to know that too. I have a CM, and have used it successfully in candid people shots. There is a very slight delay. You can't sieze the moment as with an M, but it's very close, almost to the point of being negligible

Using a video camera capturing approximately 30 frames per second (29.97 fps), and confirmed by the digital timer on my Palm T3 in the same video frames, I've observed the following:

Measurement 1. For a Leica CM set to autofocus and prefocused (shutter button depressed half way), the interval between the time the shutter button starts to travel from half way to fully depressed and the time the shutter is fully open at F4 is 12 frames. 12/30 frames = .4 seconds.

Measurement 2. For a Leica CM set to autofocus and prefocused (shutter button depressed half way), the interval between the time the shutter button has become fully depressed and the time the shutter is fully open at F4 is 5 frames. 5/30 frames = .16 seconds.

So, if you prefocus it takes 40% longer to move the shutter release from half way to fully depressed than it takes for the shutter to open afterwards.

For comparison, here are similar measurements for an Olympus Stylus Zoom 70:

Measurement 1. 16 frames or .53 seconds;

Measurement 2. 7 frames or .23 seconds;

Similar measurements for a Leica CL:

Measurement 1. 3 frames or .1 seconds;

Measurement 2. less than one frame or under .03 seconds.

Good stuff! Now, if you don't mind testing the Contax T2 and stylus epic....

Since posting, I took photos with my M7, T2 and stylus epic at the moment my stop watch hit ten seconds and got 10:24, 10:66, and 10:45, respectively. This suggested that I had an biologic shutter lag (the time between my eyes seeing the moment -- or brain anticipating the moment -- to the time the film captures the scene) was about 222 ms. :-)