Shutter Firing Issue with Nikon FE

I’m trying to resolve an issue with a Nikon FE. Shutter speeds slower than 1/60th second (and M90) consistently work. Shutter speeds faster than 1/30th second work inconsistently. The faster the speed, the less frequently it works. When it does not work, the mirror retracts, but the shutter does not open/close. I have to move the dial to M90 to open/close the shutter. Also, I found that if I push a small part in the mechanism inside the bottom cover, the shutter will open/close. I don’t have the cover off right now, so I’m not shure what the part was. But based on the repair manual, I think it was the pendulum, lock lever, or AR lever.

Batteries are fresh 357s. This occurs without any lens mounted. Camera was not at all abused but the only owner.

I read several posts about these cameras, but could not this specific trouble. This is not the lock-up issue as best I can tell.

One theory I had was that perhaps there was dust or similar in the mechanism. Might be shutter magnet, or a spring. So I shook the camera, and also shot some pressed air in the bottom. And I kept firing the shutter. I got it to the point last night where the only intermittent shutter speed was 1/1000th second, and all the others worked almost all the time. Then this morning I checked again, and I’m back where I started.

New theory is that some lubricant is gummy, and so when it was a little cooler in the morning, the problem recurred.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get this camera reliably shooting at all shutter speeds?

Tom