Shutter fatigue in (integral) motor drive Nikons?

ian_gordon_bilson

In the case of the 8008S you don't have any choice. I wouldn't worry about it anyway as the modern (vertical) focal plane shutters seem to be very reliable. Many years ago I used RF Leicas for my work. The shutter was wound when the film was advanced. I didn't want to miss a shot so I always had the shutters wound. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Alex

• 1 month later...

That advice generally relates to copal shutters found in older TLRs and large format lenses. Because of their small size the shutter tensioning spring is reletively weak so the general practice was the store them uncocked.

Applying it to Mechanical MF bodies and rangefinders it is probably less important, most horizontal traveling shutters (leica type) have a very large, strong shutter tensioning spring and do not suffer from being cocked at all times, but exercising the shutter through all the shutter speeds regularly is recommended.

Modern Copal Square shutters, found in almost every modern SLR are self cocking as part of the motor winder and a either partially or fully eletronically driven, there is nothing you can do to store them uncocked nor should you worry about it.

Cheers

Dave