shutter and f-stop in manual mode.

kevin_burns2

I am thinking about getting a canon EOS Digital rebel XT.

I was wondering about the manual exposure mode.

can one adjust both shutter and f-stop. or is it either one or the other but not

both?

In other words is it a full blown manual setting, in manual mode?

Thanks much.

thanks much! Going from a vintage Minolta D7 to a true slr and want the Digital Rebel. I was trying to find the info but Canon left out a lot of info online and I was thinking from a DP preview that the rebel did not do both, by the way the words read. cool thanks!

<p>The short answer is that it is full-blown manual.

<p>Basically, manual mode works like this on the Rebel XT:

<ul>

<li>The adjustment wheel on top of the camera adjusts shutter speed in 1/3-stop

increments by default in manual mode.

<li>To adjust aperture move the same adjustment wheel while pressing one of the

buttons on the back of the camera . Aperture adjustments are also in 1/3-stop

increments.

</ul>

<p>It works quite well for me.

<p>Dan

I made the same change from an old Pentax Mx... i still can't get used to shooting in auto...

but the only problem i've found with the 350d is that your hand can get really tired if you're changing the aperture a lot using that above technique because the handgrip isn't great. apart from that the features are light years ahead of my old pentax :)

<p>The higher bodies, including the 30D, have a much better system: two separate control wheels. To change shutter speed, you turn one wheel. To change aperture, you turn the other. There are no contortions involved in having to press a button and turn a dial, but of course there's more of a contortion for your bank account when you buy the camera.</p>

<p>The same sort of thing existed in the film bodies; in general, Rebels made you push a button and turn a wheel, while the other bodies that were higher up the product line had two wheels.</p>