Shutter Actuations

daniel_moorhead

<p>I keep reading about the number of shutter actuations (clicks) that cameras can perform during their lifetimes. I've also read where the metadata contains that data, but I have yet to be able to find it. My 60D has been used quite extensively, but I don't have a clue as to how many clicks it should be able to satisfactorily accomplish, plus how to find that number. Nikons and some other cameras offer these numbers, but based on my examination, Canon does not offer this data. Am I correct, or is there a method to this madness?</p>

<p>How many shutter actuations (throughout it's lifetime) you should expect are going to depend on too many factors to give any kind of rational response. Assuming you don't drive nails with it, are willing to do routine servicing, don't use the flappy paddle LCD too much, and pay to replace the shutter when it goes, I can't see any <em>specific</em> reason not to expect 1/2million clicks... <br>

Of course it's a tenuous relationship, and very subjective, because at some point, your next repair<em> will</em> cost more than the unit is 'worth' (aka: you can buy another, functional, unit of the same model for less). With the constant revisions and upgrades to digital bodies, I think this happens sooner than any of us would like (those who remember the hole in our bank account anyway!).</p>

<p>Of course it would be nice if we knew how many clicks were on a body (at least those of us who buy used!), and IMO, Canon did us a disservice by removing the ability for us to see at a glance what the lifetime shutter actuations are (You can on 20-50D, and 5D2 for example, but not the 7D/60D) since that allows used equipment's value to more accurately reflect it's condition (kind of like removing an odometer from a car IMO). I'm sure they theorize that it will increase buyer 'risk', making the purchase of new eqp. slightly more likely (as opposed to buying a used unit w/ verifiably low actuations)... it stills irks me considerably though.</p>

<p>I don't see why people obsess over this. First, the shutter lifetime for any body is always a suspiciously round number which makes me believe that these things are not tested. Second, even if they are tested, cycling the shutter repeatedly until it fails is quite a bit different than we use our cameras. Third, even if they are tested under realistic conditions, there are a myriad of ways to report failure times, each of which has a dramatically different interpretation. As we know nothing about any of these, what a shutter count implies is guesswork. However, I can tell you that your shutter won't magically expire at 100K clicks or whatever the 60D is rated to.</p>

<p>As a statistician, I can tell you that if the shutter count rating of 100K is real and is a measure of mean time before failure (both heroic assumptions) and we assume a bimodal failure mode (mechanical devices have a complex pattern of failure, with some failing quite early due to defects and then with the rest eventually failing due to wear and tear) then if your 60D has survived more than 10K clicks, it will quite likely be good out to 200K+ clicks. Of course, aggregate statistics being what they are, it could fail tomorrow... nobody knows and nobody can ever know so you can stop worrying. </p>

Shutter cycle count is available via Canon's service software. I've asked during servicing and said request was honored.

However, Some posters have reported their request was ignored. If you are the original owner, you can add up the total

number of 60D image files on your HD and arrive at a close aproximation of shutter cycles. Of course, if you toss a lot of

files that may not work so well.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Hi Daniel,<br>

Like they say "just keep shooting till it dies" :) I've got nearly 97k on my EOS 40D and still going strong. Some say 100k is the life span, but there are people with well over 100k and still clicking and there are those with 10k that failed/died.<br>

It's like everything else in life....enojoy while it lasts! On your next trip to Canon (hopefully not in the recent future) ask for the shutter count....but then again what good would that make?<br>

I used to use EOSInfo to check my shutter count, but I've given up now. After the 1.1.1 firmware update I think Canon has removed the ability to check the shutter acuations and I think the case with most new camera models. <br>

Once again.....keep shooting and enjoy what your are doing :)<br>

Cheers</p>