Shrine, Erice, Sicily 2019

wogears

Wow! Very nice.

However, I'm conflicted between wanting to see a more complete scene, or just focus on the shrine. It looks like an interesting setting, but we only see partial doors and a bit of cobblestone. I could go either way, either open up and show those portals completely, OR, keeping the aspect ratio as it is, show only the shrine and the inscription below.

Love the colors and textures, which are a story unto themselves. I can imagine this in one of my vanity photo-books. I'd probably feature the whole scene, including the doors, windows, etc. on a full page and then have an insert with detail of the shrine to satisfy everyone's curiosity for details on the shrine. Of course, two images is not what we do in this thread. Instead, we try for a complete story in one image.

As you've done it, it's still VERY interesting. I see that you've gotten things level on the shrine, yet the arch on the left actually leans a little, for structural strength of a true arch. Makes me wonder how old that portal is. I can imagine myself taking at least two-dozen images within just a range of 20-feet here. Maybe the scene is too rich to show it all and you've given us just enough to tantalize.

Let's see what others think. Great subject and image.

• Like 2

Feels like a mistake. Either not enough or too much. Guy in doorway works, adding mystique, but the chopped off composition of a completely straightforward view doesn't do anything for me. It might be one that would work in context, especially if I felt this was a detail of wider view. It also might work if you did a series of a bunch of sights photographed like this, because there would start to feel some intentionality behind the cropping choices and you could chop scenes up in different ways, which could be novel and expressive. Standing alone, though ...
  • Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

i like it because it has mixed an organic layer on a geometric foundation. Great as it is, I prefer a bw version

That works too, but for me, Sicily is about color. Also I saw some gorgeous b/w made in Caltibuono, and mine wouldn't look as good. :)

• Like 1

However, I'm conflicted between wanting to see a more complete scene, or just focus on the shrine.

This was my very first, initial reaction to this composition. I think my take is very nearly identical to Dave's. This has wonderful possibilities for a more narrow field of view and extracting the most expression from fewer elements, since all of the materials in the scene have so much color and texture.

Ludmilla's b&w version has potential, similar to my own b&w images of the Colorado Plateau. Still, I think the color version is worth significant further consideration and exploration. This is a fascinating and engaging image. I think I would be tempted to lose the guy in the orange coat in the doorway. He detracts from the timelessness of the image. Otherwise, this has a quality of being from almost any date over the past 1000+ years.

I feel there's enough in this shot to provide some context but not so much as to distract from the subject. The colors of the shrine itself would be more dramatic in a closer shot of it, but I like the B&W version simply because the person in the doorway, in color, adds a bit of distraction and seems less obvious in black & white. Although the colors, textures, and tones of the walls and street- of everything- are amazing and rich, I want to better see this little shrine!