Show us your favourites of Italy.

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by gup, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Gup

Gup Gup

No restrictions here. Colour, B & W, film, digital, scans. But, do tell us the location and some information regarding the shot. How you made it, why you were there, or anything else you'd care to share.

I took this one last May. I was there with my wife on our wedding anniversary. We spent 24 wonderful days travelling from Venice to Sicily. This one was in Tuscany enroute to Montisi from Florence.

I used a D800E, AF-S 17-35mm, f11, 1/250, ISO 400. Tuscany sunset 1000 5589.jpg

2. belvedere2a.jpg

Podere Belvedere, along SP 146 near San Quirico, Tuscany.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  3. It's not my favourite photos in itself, but it is one of my favourite spots in Italy - the penisula of Ortigia in Siracusa, Sicily. Had the luck to have lived there for several years, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    Shot is a 30 sec. exposure, maybe not very landscape-ish as it's mostly sea, but on an island... what else? ;-)

20151022_415.jpg

4. Gup

Gup Gup

Yes, I loved Ortigia, too. We stayed for a few nights in a B&B there. But, I remember it as an island more than a peninsula, actually. You do have to cross a bridge to get on and a bridge to get off, right? I'm still wondering about retiring there. I really did like it a lot. Ortigia roof top 850 6449.jpg

5. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

San Quirico Tuscany

6. You're right, of course, it's a island in fact. I lived very close to it (and on it, for a while too), crossed the bridge to get to Ortigia daily for years, so in my mind it doesn't quite stick as an island, as it's so easy to reach.... :)

7. david_henderson

Another try

Same issue. "There was a problem uploading your file".

So tried another file.

Same result

8. david_henderson

01. Castelmezzano  Basilicata.jpg

Hmm. Andre Garrard/Fluppeteer suggested I reload the page before posting. That's twice it worked

This is Castelmuzio, a village nestled into the Southern Apennines in Basilicata. If there's a particular point to the thread - like you're planning a trip to Italy, there's a gallery of Italian landscapes on my website.

9. Gup

Gup Gup

• The point was only to see other member's favourites taken in Italy.
    • I have researched Castelmuzio via Google and Wiki and am surprised to find it in Tuscany, approx. 3 kilometres from Montisi, one of my favourite spots.
    • Can you verify for me that this is actually Castelmuzio, David? I have ballooned over much of this area and didn't see this rock formation.
    • Thanks.

10. Gup

Gup Gup

Montisi, Tuscany. Aerial Montisi 850 5653.jpg

11. david_henderson

Gup, you're right. It's Castelmezzano, province of Potenza, Basilicata. Sorry to mislead. Have been to Castelmuzio btw as I think my next trip to southern Tuscany will be #9

12. oops

Rome-730317-1-36-St-Peter's.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  13. Gup

Gup Gup

Thanks for contributing, Diego.

_PJM5811.jpg

14. On most of my pictures in my gallery there was data regarding location (other than camera, lens, etc.) andò I do not see it anymore, did they disappear with the new (ugly IMHO) version of the site?