Shoulder bag suggestions for Pentax 67 kit?

michael_trump1

<p>I have a P67 w/ TTL Prism finder, 165mm, 105mm and 75mm Super-Takumar lenses, assorted filters and film that I need a shoulder bag for. The Lowepro "Stealth Reporter" series in size D300 or D400 look like good candidates, but I'm curious what you fine folks carry your medium format gear around in.</p>

<p>It's not quite the shoulder bag that you describe, but the Tamrac 3385 works very similar to one. It's a backpack, but it's got the compartment on the side so that you can remove just one strap and not put the bag down to access you gear. I've never been a backpack guy because I can't stand always taking it on and off, but this solves that main problem. Granted, you can only "quick access" your body with lens attached. If you wanted to switch lenses, you'd still have to take it off. But I've found that it solves my problem, so maybe it will work for you.</p>

<p>I switch gear in and out of it, but the main setups are Canon digital and a Contax 645 setup. Since your P67 is a more traditional SLR shape than my 645, it would probably fit better too. Hope this helps.</p>

Not a recommendation to you, but to note that a bag doesn't have to be all that big for the P67. I use a Lowepro Nova 2 bag for my P67 kit. I have the 90mm and 45mm and I mostly use the waist-level finder, and for that kit the camera and lenses fit quite nicely, with filters, cable release, odds and ends and all.

So why don't I recommend it? It's a little narrow for three lenses - the P67 lenses are fairly big diameter and it'd get cramped. And with the prism finder and tripod shoe it's also a tight fit in "depth". Also, with the P67 we often carry a tripod and this bag doesn't have any outside loops or anything for it so I have to carry it separately (I usually have some kind of general bag or backpack with me for other stuff).

So something a little bigger than the Nova 2 would actually be a very nice fit. The "Stealth Reporter" 300 or 400 are similar to the old Nova 2 but a little bigger, and look like they'd be good candidates. About the only thing I'd be concerned about is the tripod thing, but that may be more comfortable to carry separately in any case.

Oh, one thing about the Lowepro bags: they have this rain cover thing sown into a pocket and tucked away. It's pretty much useless, and it takes up a surprising amount of space folded up. I finally removed it (cut it away with scissors) and got a roomier front pocket as a result.

<p>Domke F1xb (ballistic). Carries my H3, 28, 50, 80, 150, plus extension tubes, filters, accessories, and so on. Tons of room. Flex to fit your body curves. With the extra shoulder pad it's very comfortable. Ballistic nylon is super tough. With all the insert options you can make it whatever you want it to be and even pad it up where you need it. Reasonable cost new, and you can find a good deal used.</p>

<p>Hmm, not quite what you're looking for, but you'd be surprised what'll fit if you want it to.... I have a Lowepro micro trekker 200 stuffed to the proverbial gills. 2 p67 bodies (one top, one bottom) 105mm between them. Down the left side there's the macro tubes and the 135mm macro. On the right side there's the 55mm, a polarizer, and the 165mm. Over the top is the grip. That leaves the outside pocket and flap for film, meter, etc. It's a tight fit, but I've seen worse...</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Another vote for the Domke F1Xb. Mine easily swallows a Mamiya RB67 ProS kit+ancillary junk+film. Domke ballistic material bags(marginally pricier than canvas but worth it) are virtually bomb-proof and very well-made relative to LowePro products. Domke movable/swappable inserts are a huge plus and sidestep the limitations of fixed or barely adjustable inserts. Domke F2 and F1X bags also don't scream "camera bag" quite like LowePros do.</p>

I just recently picked up a Domke F5XC for carryIng a Canon XS, 50mm, 100mm macro and a Bronica SQ-B w/ a back,

wlf and 80mm. It all fits in snugly with ample paddng and the best part of this bag is it's a messenger style which doesn't

scream expensive camera gear. It comes in black, olive and a sandy color.

<p >I hold my gear in a Tenba shootout bag. I use the medium bag to store my mamiya 645 body, with lens and grip attached, two extra lenses (150, and 55) as well as a gorillapod and a Gossen Light Metre. The medium shoulder bag may be a bit small for what you need, but the large may be perfect for what you want. It's low profile, easy to wear, almost entirely waterproof, and for scenarios where there is too much water there is a tarp you can put over it, room for a tripod (a real one not just my gorillapod) underneath, and plenty of extra space to store film, memory cards, even a book or two. Just my two cents.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>Just thought I'd close the loop on this thread. After much deliberation, I ended up opting for a backpack instead of a shoulder bag. I was reminded a few weeks ago how frustrating it is to have to keep readjusting a shoulder bag's strap on your shoulder as it tries to fall off every time you move... So, I think for me the small aggravation about needing to remove a pack to get to my gear is more than an adequate trade off so I don't have to worry about the damn shoulder strap sliding off my shoulder all the time. </p>

<p>I ended up finding a gently used Tenba P262 bag on fee-bay and picked it up for a song. The bag is large enough to fit all of my DSLR gear along with all of my P67 medium format gear. It weighs a ton, but I can always take stuff out and leave it at home if I need to.</p>