Shoulder bag recommendations for MF kit

guy_gervais

Greetings all.<br /> <br /> I'm looking for a good sturdy waterproof shoulder bag for either my Pentax 6x7 with 45, 75, 105 & 200mm + extension tubes, some film & a couple of filters.<br /> or<br /> My other <acronym title="Manual Focus">MF</acronym> kit which consists of a Pentax 645N with 45, 55, 75 & 120mm lenses +extension tubes, 2-3 film inserts & a couple of filters.<br /> <br /> Thank you for your time.<br /> <br /> <br /> Guy

<p>I use a Tamrac Pro-12 for my Mamiya Pro-TL, and it also might might meet your needs. I have 6 lenses, 5 Ext. tubes, 2 prism's, Camera Body, and 2x teleconverter. Film goes in front pockets (left unexposed - right exposed) ans pouches on each end hold filters the close-up lenses. It is a bit weighty when fully loaded - but is easy to carry on my 6'4" frame.</p>

<p>The Billingham 445 might be a good bet for you. They are waterproof (for rain etc, not submersion), and they can hold a ton of gear. They are also quite comfortable to carry with a heavy load...at least compared to other shoulder bags. If you have to carry the gear a long distance, a good backpack is always going to be better, though of course they are more of a pain to work out of....</p>

<p>I have bags made by Domke and Billingham. While the Billingham is probably the most protective shoulder bag that I have ever used, the Domke is much quicker to work out of when the action gets heavy. </p>

<p>So...my recommendation would be the Domke if you use your MF gear in "quick response" situations, and the Billingham if you can work in a more "relaxed" mode.</p>

<p>In that case I can recommend the Lowepro mini-trekker. At the moment mine contains a 645Pro-TL with AE prism and 80mm lens, 35, 45 and 110mm N lenses + 2x converter, 4 extra backs, 20 or so rolls of film, Minolta Autometer III, a Weston Master III, a couple of spare batteries and a few filters. The front pouch is still not quite full, but that's about all the weight I care to carry.<br /> Come to think of it I'm not sure why the Weston 3 is in there at all!</p>

<p>I took a look at the Dryzone Rover online. It looks similar in concept to my Tamrac, except of course the Dryzone is waterproof, and also has a place for a Camelback or similar water supply. </p>

<p>Question: are the lens compartments in the Dryzone large enough to hold 3 or 4 Hasselblad lenses, such as the 50, 60, or 100? I ask, because the ones in my Tamrac are a light drive fit even for most Nikkors.</p>

<p>Guy, I have used all manners of bags for my Rollei 6008 MF and Toyo LF kits. While each had its charms and blemishes, the best of the bunch is a Kata bag. See:<a href="http://www.kata-bags.com/kata.asp?Version=Photo">http://www.kata-bags.com/kata.asp?Version=Photo</a>. I have the 104 or 106 - can't remember. These are the stoutest packs I have ever seen, and I have been a climber and skier for way long. The designers, I have heard, were in Israeli special forces. The gear definitely looks and feels bomb-proof. Excellent compartmentalization with removeable dividers. Robust zippers with good farbic coverage. Pockets where you want them. Very convenient haul handle on top. Internal frame with chest cinch and hip strap makes this extraordinarily comfortable. While the pack fabric is the stoutest I have sever seen in a pack, there is a separate rain cover if needed. Can not recommend this gear more highly. Hope this helps.</p>