Should silica packets be kept in sealed bags with lenses?

gurbally_seth

<p>I have just bought padded bags to keep lenses. But these small bags have silica gel packets. Should I keep these silica packets in the bags in which I am keeping mylenses or take them out.<br>

I am told that if they are kept inside the sealed bag with the lens, they can cause problems for lubrication of the lens.</p>

<p>Never heard that one before. I've a friend who always stores his lenses with gel packages to keep down the mold/fungus that moisture can cause. But this is only necessary if you store your lenses in a <em>sealed</em> bag, which I never do, as mine stay in the ready in my camera bag. Also the drawback to using the gels is that, unless you have the ones that indicate when they're no longer good, you can't know when they're full and no longer effective. So unless you live in an extremely moist house I would suggest you just leave them in your camera bag and not bother sealing them, which can definitely cause problems if not done right.</p>

<p>Silica packets are packed with all sorts of camera and electronics equipment. They are primarily for absorbing any damaging moisture while the items are being shipped from the factory to the store, through in-between steps that are uncontrolled and could be anything from sitting in a cargo container aboard a ship in the tropics to sitting in an unheated delivery van outside in the winter. They aren't necessary for regular use with photo equipmetn unless you're going to be traveling in the tropics for extended periods, or live somewhere where there is extremely high humidity on a continuing basis.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Silica gel is one of many hydroscopic compounds. One common use is to protect goods from damage due to high humidity encountered on an ocean voyage. To accomplish; the goods are sealed in an air tight container with silica gel packets inside. The silica gel quickly absorbs airborne moisture thus lowering the humidity inside the packaging. Hydroscopic compounds have a definite limit as to how much water they can accumulate. Once this capacity is reached the packets cease absorption. The packets can be re-activated by baking in a moderately hot oven for an hour or two. If the packets are not rejuvenated or replaced on a regular basis, they are useless as to moisture protection. </p>

<p>This is true only if you keep the lenses in an airtight box. Even then you need to be careful and rejuvenate the silica gels from time to time by baking them in an oven.<br>

Also to keep in mind, this process is important if you live in a humid environment, for example, tropical countries.</p>